« June 14, 2012 | Main | June 16, 2012 »

June 15, 2012

Watch ESPN app on iPad: world-changing

A

Long story short: I'm watching Euro Cup on my new iPad (above; Sweden-England, halftime in a crackerjack game... but I digress) and the experience is an order of magnitude better than viewing it on my big screen hi-def TV, which sits mute and blind a few feet away (upper right hand corner of the photo).

Why?

Several reasons, which I'll get to in a moment, but most important — by a wide margin — is the fact that the distance from my eyes to the still-breathtaking-after-all-these-weeks Retina display/iPad screen is precisely the same as that to my Air right next to it.

Why is this world-changing?

Because the eyes tire from constantly refocusing between a laptop screen two feet away and a TV screen eight feet distant, so much so that I — and I'm certain I speak for many — tire of moving from screen to screen and eventually work more slowly while watching or miss big plays while working.

The iPad puts paid to all the energy and effort required of the eyes' extraocular muscles that reshape the lenses to constantly refocus images as attention shifts back and forth between laptop and TV.

Try it yourself and you will be a convert.

Fantastic technology mashup from ESPN and Apple.

The best part?

The Watch ESPN app, at least, is free — the way we like it.

The other things that make watching on the iPad superior?

1. No commercials when watching the app, just pleasant music and a static "We'll be right back" screen.

2. If for any reason you want/have to move — get something to eat/drink, use the W.C., someone at the door, cat needs you, whatever — you can take the game/iPad with you. Fantastico.

Up top, my setup.

You will note my phone above the iPad, showing the view of the front of my house (close-up below) —

C

as seen by my Dropcam in the window.

Meanwhile I'm facing the yard in back — my preferred angle of attack for daytime activities — with its superb north light.

June 15, 2012 at 04:31 PM | Permalink | Comments (9) | TrackBack

Fried Egg Spatula

P98179b

This is so in Rob Walker's wheelhouse, it isn't even funny.

But I digress.

"Sturdy stainless steel handle and flexible heat-resistant silicone that won't scratch cookware."

June 15, 2012 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Eulerian Visual Magnification for Revealing Subtle Changes in the World

Abstract: Our goal is to reveal temporal variations in videos that are difficult or impossible to see with the naked eye, then display them in an indicative manner. Our method, which we call Eulerian Video Magnification, takes a standard video sequence as input and applies spatial decomposition, followed by temporal filtering to the frames. The resulting signal is then amplified to reveal hidden information. Using our method, we are able to visualize the flow of blood as it fills the face and also to amplify and reveal small motions. Our technique can run in real time to show phenomena occurring at temporal frequencies selected by the user.

Screen Shot 2012-06-14 at 3.24.57 PM

[via MIT and Richard Kashdan]

June 15, 2012 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

House Page Markers

Yhst-20493720720238_2206_38519193

"Small adhesive notes designed to mark pages or paragraphs in text, available in 6 different colors with enough space for annotations, they are sticky enough to be temporary and not leave a mark, but permanent enough to use when making notes is important."

Yhst-20493720720238_2206_38586269

Set of six pads: $24.

6a00d8341c5dea53ef01761571e7bd970c-800wi

[via Things That Look Like Other Things and Better Living Through Design]

June 15, 2012 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Airtime — Twitter to the max

Screen Shot 2012-06-10 at 10.00.25 AM

I tried Airtime, the brainchild of Shawn Fanning and Sean Parker by way of Andrey Ternovskiy, the day they unveiled it last week.

From the first screen I realized it was gonna rule the world.

Wait and see.

June 15, 2012 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Mission Impossible iPhone Case

UnYOUsual-iPhone-Panel-Design-8-1

UnYOUsual-iPhone-Panel-Design-7

June 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Where to spend your Bitcoins

Bitcoin2

Bitcoin fascinates me because it offers a distinct alternative to the consensual illusion we call money.

Bitcoin3

Not exactly universally accepted yet, what?

Bitcoin copy 2