« July 11, 2012 | Main | July 13, 2012 »

July 12, 2012

"7 Minutes of Terror: Descent to Mars"

Coming in the early hours of Monday, August 6 (beginning just before 12:11 a.m. ET), the world premiere — a one-time-only event — of Mars rover Curiosity's descent from space to the surface of the Red Planet.

Said Nasa engineer Tom Rivellini, "We've got literally seven minutes to get from the top of the atmosphere to the surface of Mars, going from 13,000 miles an hour to zero. If any one thing doesn't work, it's game over."

Put me down for a ringside seat, I'm saving the date in red ink as soon as I'm finished with this post.

To describe what the ride down will be like, NASA put up a YouTube video (top) last month which has become a crowd favorite.

They got my vote.

I'm watching it again on Apple TV's YouTube app tonight.

[via Kenneth Chang and the New York Times]

July 12, 2012 at 05:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Double Agent Shoes — "Free your hands and ditch the purse!"

D

"Ladies shoes with secret compartments."

Screen Shot 2012-07-12 at 3.18.16 PM

What took so long?

$145–$295.

Fair warning: Don't mull it over too long — one style's already sold out.

[via one of my crack LA correspondents, bringing back things from places I frankly don't want to know about]

July 12, 2012 at 03:31 PM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack

BehindTheMedspeak: Cellscope — Mobile Microscopy

"Welcome to CellScope at UC Berkeley. We bring microscopy and medical imaging to a mobile platform."

"About our mission: One of the most basic — yet powerful — tools in all of science and medicine is the microscope. We, in the Fletcher Lab at the University of California, Berkeley, have designed equipment to turn the camera of a standard cell phone into a diagnostic-quality microscope with a magnification of 5x-60x. Cellphone microscopy will enable visualization of samples, followed by capture, organization, and transmission of images critical for diagnosis. This technology is applicable in a wide range of applications beyond diagnostic medicine."

Apply within.

[via Margaret McCartney]

July 12, 2012 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Pac-Man Fleece Blanket

BNKT-1238

63" x 59".

[via CSYCB]

July 12, 2012 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Silhouette Origami

Q

A 2011 piece

C

by Kumi Yamashita.

V

366 x 366 x 1cm (12 feet x 12 feet x 0.4 inches).

Q4

Creased Japanese paper, single light source, shadow.

July 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Pivothead HD Recording Sunglasses

Forget about Google Glass vaporware — this puppy's for sale today.

Long story short from Ed Baig's review in yesterday's USA Today: They offer good quality video from a pretty well concealed camera, but you have to use a computer to change settings, etc.

Early days.

$349.

July 12, 2012 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Funeral Blues — W.H. Auden (1936)

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,

Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,

Silence the pianos and with muffled drum

Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead

Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,

Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,

Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,

My working week and my Sunday rest,

My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;

I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;

Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;

Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;

For nothing now can ever come to any good.

[This poem, the first of "Two Songs for Hedli Anderson," was first published in 1936 as "Song IX" from "Twelve Songs." It was reprinted with its present title in the 1976 collection "Tell Me The Truth About Love." Its most famous appearance was in the 1994 film "Four Weddings and a Funeral."]

July 12, 2012 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack