« July 16, 2012 | Main | July 18, 2012 »

Elvis

Jennings

[via Flavorwire and Everlasting Blört]

July 17, 2012 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Monopoly Money Tie

Popup

What to wear to a Senate Banking Committee hearing.

71JVCF2b2LL._SL1001_

Prolly better if you're watching, not testifying.

615GykEqtbL._SL1001_

61dBTViqEqL._SL1001_

[via ThisIsWhyImBroke]

July 17, 2012 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Roadtrippers.com — "Powerful Route Planning, Awesome Curated Places & Trips"

Screen Shot 2012-07-17 at 8.05.30 AM

I like it when things are understated.

But I digress.

Awareness that Roadtrippers.com exists comes from Paul Biba who added, "This is fantastic!"

I will try it out next Monday when I head to Richmond for yet another in a so-far fruitless series of attempts to drop my 5K time under an 8-minute/mile pace (Monday's event will be my 15th effort since I got serious on April 21 of this year).

Above, my route configured and tricked out by Roadtrippers, featuring History and Attractions.

Too bad there's not a pin for where I'm likely to blow up midway through the second mile of the 5K somewhere in the vicinity of Shady Grove Elementary School, where the race begins and ends.

No matter.

You: you don't have to wait till then; go ahead, give Roadtrippers a whirl and let us know what you think.

On another note entirely, it just occurred to me that when I'm in the right mood, anything — literally — can be the jumping off point for a blog post.

Kind of fun, that.

July 17, 2012 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

TV Dinner Gumballs

TV-Dinner-Gumballs_27216-l

Mmmmm.

TV-Dinner-Gumballs_27215-l

Buttered corn, roast beef, and apple cobbler-flavored gums.

July 17, 2012 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Jon Lord, Deep Purple keyboardist, is dead at 71

From his obituary by Ben Sisario in today's New York Times:

In a recent interview, Mr. Lord demonstrated how he tailored the organ's sound for Deep Purple.

"Lovely a sound as it was, it wasn't quite giving me what I wanted," he said. "I could hear another sound in my head — something harder, something more throaty."

"You tap straight in and put it through a straight speaker," he added, "and you get a beast."

FunFact: "The song ["Smoke on the Water] is honored in Montreux [where the events leading up to its lyrics occurred] by a sculpture along the lake [Geneva] shore (right next to the statue of Queen frontman Freddie Mercury) with the band's name, the song title, and the riff in musical notes.

You could look it up.

Below,

Obit-lord2-popup

the 28-year-old Lord in 1969.

Am I the only one who thinks the classical orchestra conductor in the video up top is having more fun than anyone else in the building?

July 17, 2012 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

TONDO BY NIGHT — "World premiere luxury timepiece featuring a photoluminescent case"

Scan 8

"... that stores up daylight and glows at night.

The ad pictured up top occupies 25% of page A8 in today's New York Times.

Though my Crack Research Team®™© couldn't find a price (it's hard to leave when you can't find the door), I'm sure it's not inexpensive.

You want photoluminescent on the cheap, try this iPhone case:

6a00d8341c5dea53ef01761680fa32970c-800wi

A snip at $24.95.

July 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

LEGO Anatomy

Legoa08

From TOXEL:

Legoa04

"Eye-catching sculptures

Legoa02

by artist Jason Freeny

Lego09

show the anatomy of LEGO minifigures."

Legoa06

"Skeleton, teeth, internal organs, and other body parts

Legoa07

were hand-sculpted into oversized versions of LEGO pieces."

July 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Interactive Pool Table

From websites: "Transform any pool table into a digitally-enhanced video experience. Custom high-definition imagery responds in real time under every ball to each shot. User-selectable themes yield infinite possibilities."

1-650x420