« Hand Wrench | Home | Old Soviet-Era Calculator »

July 7, 2012

Where to buy Mexican Coke in the U.S.

B

Long story short: Long ago and far away, Coke was made with cane sugar. Then they switched to high-fructose corn syrup, which aficionados say changed the taste for the worse.

In Mexico, Coke is still made with cane sugar, and those who prefer the real thing make serious efforts to procure Mexican Coke.

The map up top shows where in the U.S you can buy it.

[via Julie Bestry]

July 7, 2012 at 04:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Where to buy Mexican Coke in the U.S.:

Comments

I don't do soda anymore, but, once every blue moon I get a hankerin' for a coke. When I do I get it at the local Tacqueria here in Sonoma (Ca). It is far superior to regular Coke AND comes in the old glass bottles. A treat. I liken this whole idea to store tomatoes vs. garden tomatoes. If not the real deal, then why bother.

Posted by: David Gray | Jul 8, 2012 3:38:55 AM

Every year in the month before the Jewish holiday of Passover (usually coincides with easter), the Coke plants in the major US markets also do a run of coke with cane sugar to accomodate their Jewish customers who can't eatcorn sugar over the passover holiday.

All Coke bottles that are marked as 'kosher for passover' are made with Cane sugar.

Posted by: treppenwitz | Jul 8, 2012 1:38:54 AM

Posted by: treppenwitz | Jul 8, 2012 1:38:47 AM

Cane sugar tastes better than high fructose corn syrup. You can get Mexican Coke at any Walgreens in the Chicago area. As for the research that Rob O. links to - why on either didn't they just do a straight, head-to-head, double blind taste test? Obviously packaging and the tester are going to influence the decisions of tasters and this influence needs to be screened out.

I've done a comparison, and it always came out Mexican Coke.

Posted by: Scott Jenkins | Jul 8, 2012 12:22:10 AM

For whatever it's worth, there are some who contend - with compelling supporting data - that Mexican Coke only tastes better because you think it'll taste better:

Being barely more than a stone's throw from the border, Mexican Cokes are fairly easy to acquire here and I have some friends who swear by it. But as much as I know about their preferences, I'm that much more inclined to believe that Mexican Coke only tastes better to them because they believe it will.

As for me, I went cold turkey on carbonated beverages en masse 5 years ago. But don't dare try to slip in some cheap alternative to my Lipton iced tea!

Posted by: Rob O. | Jul 7, 2012 6:39:41 PM

Thanks for the hat tip, Joe. This reminded me to report that my Fresh Market carries it, so that should put a new pin in the map.

Posted by: Julie Bestry | Jul 7, 2012 5:28:14 PM