« August 11, 2012 | Main | August 13, 2012 »

August 12, 2012

Helpful Hints from joeeze: Driving in fog

Fog

Yesterday, as I drove down Route 29 South from my Podunk town to Lynchburg (home of Liberty University, among other things) to the Lynchburg Half-Marathon, I encountered heavy fog in the dark before sunrise.

I left home at 5:25 a.m. for the 70-mile trip and about 15 miles south of Charlottesville encountered a wall of fog which stayed present intermittently for about 40 miles.

I invoked fog driving techniques which I haven't had occasion to use for at least five years.

Here is my protocol:

1. Slow way, way down. I am always amazed by the speed of cars whizzing by me in the fast lane in conditions of low visibility. Maybe they have X-ray/infrared vision turned on.

2. Turn on my flashing hazard lights in addition to fog lamps.

3. Find a huge, slow truck with mega-lighting on the back, get behind it, and stay as far back as I can from it while still being able to see its light show. This lets me enjoy the relatively clear path behind the truck as it dissipates the fog in its path.

August 12, 2012 at 05:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack

TARDIS Dress

82% polyester/18% Lycra.

Designed by James Lillis.

Made in Australia.

Get yours here.

[via Blastr and Paul Biba]

August 12, 2012 at 03:31 PM | Permalink | Comments (6) | TrackBack

The Martini FAQ — by Brad Gadberry

Screen Shot 2012-08-11 at 8.00.16 PM

Wrote crack Indiana correspondent clifyt, "Found it somewhere... wish I was drinking."

This is version 1.22, revised October 27, 2011.

August 12, 2012 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Limited-Edition CUBEN Space Io Chair

Cuben-Space-Io-Chair-1e

Designed by Simon C. Page who wrote,

Cuben-Space-Io-Chair-1a

"Something I have been tripping about for a while has now, today, got that bit more real. Here are some of the first pictures of my first chair design using the CUBEN Space Io design from my free iPad wallpapers. I ended up having to increase the artwork to 45" x 45" — somewhat bigger than the artwork for the iPad retina screen — and really put my iMac to work!"

Cuben-Space-Io-Chair-1b
Numbered edition of 33.

Cuben-Space-Io-Chair-1i

£1,595.

[via Paul Biba]

August 12, 2012 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Feedreader Online — "Allows you to view your feeds from any web browser, on any device, without installing any software"

Screen Shot 2012-08-11 at 9.04.35 PM

Can your RSS thingie do that?

Full disclosure: I have never subscribed to an RSS feed and never will.

Why?

Because I haven't a clue how they work and I hate having online stuff shoved down my inbox.

Five daily newspapers + four weekly magazines + eight monthly magazines in my paper and mail boxes?

I'm down wit dat.

August 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack

Mason Jar Drinking Glass

Mason-jar-drinking-glass-with-straw-xl

"Genuine 32-oz. Ball Mason jar fitted with a dunce-proof screw-on lid and full-length straw."

Dunce-proof? Heh. Gimme a crack at it.

9 inches high.

[via The Green Head]

August 12, 2012 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Curiosity on Mars: "This has to be the greatest panoramic image of all time"

Screen Shot 2012-08-12 at 8.36.51 AM

I won't argue.

Added John Naughton, "Wonderful. Truly wonderful.

August 12, 2012 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Mini Crime Scene Tape

Mini-crime-scene-tape-xl

From a website: "Use this Mini Crime Scene Tape to repair tiny tears or to mark off the scene of tiny crimes. If someone steals the stapler off your desk or forgets to clean out the microwave in the lunchroom, just put a strip of this tape around the affected area to make your point in an amazingly passive-aggressive way."

100 feet of 3/4"-wide tape in plastic dispenser.

[via The Green Head]