« August 26, 2012 | Main | August 28, 2012 »

August 27, 2012

A heartfelt apology to Lolo Jones

Screen Shot 2012-08-27 at 12.32.45 PM

Lolo Jones (above) has long been one of my favorite athletes and the media trashing of her by the New York Times and others this summer has saddened me immensely.

As an avid track and field fan, I've missed her at the ongoing series of post-Olympic Diamond League meets in Europe, which feature many Olympic medalists in a kind of continental victory lap.

So when I noticed Lolo wasn't entered or competing in any Diamond League meets I wondered, why not?

A

I mean, she's not injured and just missed a medal in the Olympics, finishing a very close, heartbreaking 4th (by far the worst place — so near and yet so far).

So I called her out this morning on Twitter (below):

She DM'd me back within minutes as follows:

and:

She's right: I insulted her by questioning her competitiveness and athletic spirit, which are second to none and part of the reason I'm such a big fan of hers.

I'm sorry, Lolo — I was wrong and I hope you will accept my apology.

Everybody else, follow Lolo!

August 27, 2012 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (13) | TrackBack

Face Bra — Dirty Dreaming Sleep Mask is world's best ever (not even close)

Facebra

Pop this baby atop your weary peepers next time you fly and see what happens.

Ha!

Cory Doctorow, call your office: Your next TSA-discombobulator is in.

Facebrabox

From Laughing Squid: "European lingerie and clothing retailer Beate Uhse hired Munich-based ad agency Iterone to create a unique invitation so their business clients would attend the Salon Internationale de la Lingerie in Paris. Since the invitees would be traveling on long journeys by plane or train, they created the Face Bra, a sexy and useful sleeping mask. It's based on Beate Uhse lingerie's top-selling product, the lace bra. Due to its popularity, the company is considering adding it to its product line."

Life imitates art.

[via Incredible Things, NAVER, Trendhunter, and Ads of the World]

August 27, 2012 at 03:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

WotWentWrong.com — "We help people to find out why their relationship ended."

Screen Shot 2012-08-27 at 10.21.38 AM

I love their tag line (my headline) — it reminds me of one of my favorite sayings, to wit.: "A consultant is someone who looks at your watch and then tells you the time."

But I digress.

Wrote Washington Post Outlook section assistant editor Lisa Bonos (below, as seen on Twitter)

LBheadshot

in an article titled "The art of the digital breakup" that appeared on the front page of yesterday's Outlook section (finding talent inside the walled garden, I like that): "For those who don't get so much as a rejection text, Audrey Melnick has a tool to help them find out what they might have said or done to turn someone off [note to self: She wouldn't know where to start with me]. Through her Web site, WotWentWrong.com, singles can send messages to dates who've disappeared, requesting feedback. A recipient can write his own response or choose from prepackaged answers, including: 'Too much fighting; You are selfish; You don't make me feel attractive; You text instead of calling.'"

Reminds me of Lake Wobegon for losers.

Fair warning: There goes the day.

One more thing: Why "Wot" instead of "What?"

If Lisa Bonos meets Mr. Right as a result of being featured here, I better be invited to the wedding.

Just saying.

August 27, 2012 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Lens Pen

71uSzQ98MlL._AA1500_

Wrote Roy Furchgott in yesterday's Washington Post, "Camera lenses collect dust, and eventually the dreaded fingerprint or two, which leave hard-to-remove oils that dirt clings to. The lens pen is a two-step tool containing a soft goat-hair brush for removing loose debris, and a carbon-impregnated pad that soaks up oils. It's simple, it's clever, and it works."

August 27, 2012 at 01:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

"BELIEF+DOUBT" — Barbara Kruger

This new show went up last week and covers more than 6,000 square feet of the lobby at the Hirshhorn Museum & Sculpture Garden in Washington, D.C., where it will remain through December 31, 2014.

Wrote the artist in "Barbara Kruger," published by Rizzoli,

Kruger-Install-Escalator-from-lobby

"My attempts aim to undermine that singular, pontificating male voice-over which 'correctly' instructs our pleasure and histories or lack of them."

[via The Washington Post]

August 27, 2012 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Blue Mitosis Silk Scarf

Il_570xN.361118440_m21g

By Washington, D.C.-based artist Michele Banks.

Il_570xN.361118124_pxia

72" x 12".

$50.

August 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Chimera Cat

Chimera-cat-6

From Broadsheet.ie:

Chimera-cat-5

"Venus is a three year old chimera cat. It's not a breed: it's a genetic condition."

Chimera-cat-4

From Geekologie: "A chimera is one individual organism, but genetically its own fraternal twin. A chimera is typically formed from four parent cells (either two fertilized eggs or two early embryos that have fused together). When the organism forms, the cells that had already begun to develop in the separate embryos keep their original phenotypes and appearances. This means that the resulting animal is a mixture of tissues and can look like this gorgeous (but bizarre) kitty."

[via Joanne Casey and Nerdcore]

August 27, 2012 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Aerosol Can Travel Mug

Canned2_lr

That's different.

Canned1_lr

Spray can-shaped insulated travel mug.

13 oz. capacity.