« October 9, 2012 | Main | October 11, 2012 »

October 10, 2012

Wine-Scented Soy Candles — "New soy in old bottles"

Vvvvv

"Large soy wax candles in repurposed wine bottles burn clean without producing black smoke. 100% cotton wick burns for 60-80 hours. Hand-poured in South Carolina."

Zaa

Nine different scents.

Apiece, $28.

October 10, 2012 at 09:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

reddit is doomed

Why do I say that?

Any website that has a list of rules like those above and below — screenshots from reddit today — is not a place that's gonna be on anyone's A list.

See Jack Dorsey/Twitter for more on how to be inclusive rather than exclusive, a truly failed Internet strategy demonstrated repeatedly in the past and alas, slated to offer more case studies — like reddit — in the future.

Too bad.

October 10, 2012 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Heidi Julavits' tumblr — There are worse places to spend a little time online

Screen Shot 2012-10-10 at 4.13.40 PM

Far worse places.

One of my favorite authors shares random bits and pieces in her online notebook.

October 10, 2012 at 06:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

MacBook Pro with Retina Display — Please stop me before I order one

Screen Shot 2012-10-10 at 4.56.51 PM

See, I don't NEED one: I'm more than happy with my mid-2011 13" Air.

Screen Shot 2012-10-10 at 4.57.47 PM

But earlier today I saw bookofjoe on a MacBook Pro with Retina Display and almost passed out, it looked so incredible.

So please, do an intervention ASAP because I don't think I can stop myself.

Amazon's not helping any, what with its promise to put one in my hands Friday if I order within the next 40 minutes.

Nor is Gray Cat, nudging my hand to press "Buy."

October 10, 2012 at 05:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack

stirt@icloud.com — catchy, what?

It's my newest email address, so new it doesn't even exist yet and won't until Tim Cook* flips the switch at One Infinite Loop in a couple weeks and turns it on.

Screen Shot 2012-10-10 at 3.32.01 PM

Word just came in from Apple (above) that in addition to stirt@mac.com and stirt@me.com, Apple's decided to go for the trifecta.

I'm down with that.

Everyone knows that the more email addresses you have the more important you are.

I mean, that's a no-brainer.

Q.E.D.

Wait a sec... what's that music I'm hearing?

*I know that Tim Cook doesn't literally flip a switch to turn it on, silly billy.

Steve Jobs does that.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Note added at 3:33 p.m. today (the original post was signed, sealed and delivered at around 2 p.m.): Just for the heck of it I tried my new icloud.com address and darned if it isn't already live (below).

Screen Shot 2012-10-10 at 3.34.06 PM

I must be on the V.I.P. list!

October 10, 2012 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack

Panasonic Nose/Ear Hair Trimmer with LED — A feature too far

G

Don't get me wrong: I love Panasonic, still the undisputed world leader in small motor appliances after decades atop the mountain of excellence, fending off competition from Braun and its ilk.

But putting an LED near the business end of a nose/ear hair trimmer (photo above) is a bug, not a feature.

Why?

Simple, as any TechnoDolt®™© worth her salt could tell you in a Podunk town minute: BECAUSE THE LED DOESN'T SHINE ON THE AREA YOU'RE WORKING ON.

Screen Shot 2012-10-10 at 1.44.55 PM

How stupid do you have to be while beta testing a product not to see something this obvious?

Pretty stupid, IMHO.

Even worse: you can't turn off the light and still use the device, as the LED is hardwired into the circuit.

But what do I know, really?

I'm just a brain-dead treadmill-walking blogging anesthesiologist who's breathed far too much unscavenged waste gas over the past 35 years.

If you want one — a nose/ear hair trimmer, not a brain-dead blogging anesthesiologist — it will set you back $15.99.

311XNESCHSL._SS400_

I'm priceless.

October 10, 2012 at 02:31 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

"Easier Said Than Done" — Episode 2: The Oracle of Forest Park Speaks

Hh

"ME TOO. I ONLY EVER BOUGHT SIX 45rpm RECORDS, AND THIS WAS THE FIRST."

Received here at boj World Headquarters®™© last week, it is here unveiled to the public for the very first time ever.

Gray Cat (above, invoking her version of The Force) and I are burning incense in front of our new shrine as your read these words.

Feel the power.

October 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

What is it/are they?

Tube-Press-at-Walgreens

Answer here this time tomorrow.

Hint: You can buy them at the Ala Moana Shopping Mall in Honolulu.

How do I know this?

Because reader Jim Cooley sent me one and told me so.

October 10, 2012 at 09:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (9) | TrackBack