« Tree Wheeler | Home | Sinking Mug »

October 12, 2012

Helpful Hints from joeeze: Scan + email = fax

3671692562_df3323c0be

About once a month I'm asked to sign something and fax it back.

All very well and good for the requestor but I don't have a fax machine at home.

Never have, never will: failed technology.

But don't get me started.

Only last month did it dawn on me that I can:

1. Print out the document to be signed

2. Sign it

3. Scan it (my trusty HP B210 Airprint Wireless Printer/Scanner/Copier does that easy peasy)

4. Have the scan of the signed document appear on my computer desktop

5. Attach that scan to a return email

And Bob's your uncle (or at least a distant cousin).

Why did it take me decades of driving down to Kinko's/FedEx to fax back the signed document before I twigged?

I must be even stupider than I look.

But not much.

And I don't need to hear "Not much downside" from you, do I?

October 12, 2012 at 04:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Helpful Hints from joeeze: Scan + email = fax:

Comments

In an age of near ubiquitous scan/photo .pdf generation capability (I can do it with my Android phone, for Pete's sake), many government entities (and medical/insurance billing operations) have no ability to handle them. My guess is that they're still working with Windows 3.1 and are looking for their red stapler.

Posted by: Scott | Oct 13, 2012 3:11:45 PM

I, too, somehow skipped fax technology and jumped straight to PC.

Also fun on a computer: If someone emails you a PDF, you can attach your own unique, secure digital signature anywhere on it--including date and time, as well as a scan of your ink-on-paper John Hancock, if you like. No document-scanning step needed. Requires Acrobat Distiller or something like it, but such bits of programs can be found here and there these days.

== PT

Posted by: PT | Oct 13, 2012 1:04:52 PM

Here's a quick (but, not free) SOLUTIONhttp://www.fax.com/index.jsp?oc=ft&engine=googleppcfree

Back in the old days, Compuserve offered the service (I'm talking 23 years ago...)

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Oct 13, 2012 11:06:57 AM

The way we like it.

Posted by: Matthieu | Oct 13, 2012 6:19:04 AM

For some reason, various businesses do not have EMail but do have Fax. The billing services for doctors and hospitals especially.

Luckily, if you look around there are some sites which will [for free, even!] send your text/image to a fax receiver.

Posted by: John A | Oct 12, 2012 11:25:51 PM