« Instant Hair: Inflatable Toupée | Home | Pac-Man Active Mug »

November 28, 2012

Robert Sapolsky on the biology of depression — Compelling

The best presentation I've ever seen.

Not even close.

Of interest to me — and no surprise — is that a majority in his audience are women.

Men do not do well when it comes to confronting their vulnerability.

November 28, 2012 at 01:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Robert Sapolsky on the biology of depression — Compelling:

Comments

Amazing. Interesting that after talking about stress as a factor in depression and how it's rife in the academic community of high achievers, he apologizes, as he winds hastily down, for having to "sprint out the door".

Posted by: tamra | Nov 29, 2012 5:21:01 AM

At risk of finding myself identified with the high-info types: ditto on the transcript.

Posted by: JoePeach | Nov 28, 2012 7:07:52 PM

At risk of finding myself identified with the low-info types: ditto on the transcript.

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Nov 28, 2012 3:10:23 PM

I'm with Jim. I want a transcript so I can read this quickly. I'm at the center of Internet2 (it is administered about 50 feet from where I sit) and for some reason YouTube is flaking out on me today, so even wasting an hour is killing me! Stanford give us a transcript!!!

That said, Robert Sapolsky is a biologist. I have a feeling he is going to tell us that depression is a biological disease, not a psychological disease that affects the biology of human. I have a BIG bias against biologists in the psychological realm. It is like having an electrical engineer tell me why my programming is failing. And even when they are right, it is still annoying!

I'll have to comment on this once I actually slug through it.

Posted by: clifyt | Nov 28, 2012 2:33:16 PM

I'll have to comment on this once I actually slug through it.

Posted by: clifyt | Nov 28, 2012 2:33:12 PM

Am I alone in disliking "podcasts" and lectures? I'd love to hear this, but don't want to spend 52 minutes when I could read a paper in 5 or 10.

Posted by: jim` | Nov 28, 2012 1:21:54 PM