« April 10, 2013 | Main | April 12, 2013 »

April 11, 2013

See-through brain

YouTube caption: "Scientists have come up with a way to make whole brains transparent, so they can be labelled with molecular markers and imaged using a light microscope. The technique, called CLARITY, enabled its creators to produce the detailed 3D visualisations you see in this video. It works in mouse brains and human brains; here the team use it to look into the brain of a 7-year-old boy who had autism."

[via Jordan Gaines]

April 11, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Sag-B-Gone Button keeps your jeans up when they start to sag and droop

Sag-b-gone1

Wrote Mark Frauenfelder in Cool Tools, "Larissa Holland of mmmcrafts came up with a good solution for people who don't like belts or suspenders and also don't like it when their jeans start to stretch and get saggy as the day goes on: the 'Sag-B-Gone' no-sew dungaree button!"

From $4.12.

For those times when you've been to someplace like Craig Hartman's Barbecue Exchange and find your pants are no longer as comfortable as before you sat down to eat try Easy Fit Extenders, designed to add slack rather than remove it.

April 11, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

"I've never seen such infinite beauty in my life."

"I can feel the air.'

"Like you're released, like you're free."

"Everything is one."

"You can't believe it."

"I've never seen such infinite beauty in my life."

"I wish I could talk in technicolor."

It becomes clear why psychedelic drugs are illegal: As the lady said, "There isn't anything pleasant or unpleasant, it's too beautiful. This is reality."

If people were given the option of going to school and work or having an experience like that pictured above, which do you think they would choose?

The world as we know it would come to a crashing halt.

"I feel sorry for you."

FunFact: I may well have been the only person on my dorm floor at UCLA in the late 60s not to ever have used drugs, even once.

You could've gotten high just walking down my seventh floor hallway after getting off the elevator.

My roommate during my sophomore year was my dorm's amphetamine dealer: he would sit up all night at his little built-in desk about 4 feet from my pillow with a precision scale, tiny high-intensity lamp, and notebooks and plastic bags and all the rest of the drug dealer's paraphernalia, cutting and weighing and packaging his wares.

"Let me know if you ever want to try anything, Joe. I can get you whatever you like and it'll be the very best, totally pure and uncut. Free."

"No thanks, Charlie. I'm OK."

Strange days.

[via Boing Boing]

April 11, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (6) | TrackBack

Swiss Army Knife with Retractable Ballpoint Pen

Sak-manager

I've long used the Swiss Army Knife 2.75"-long pen accessory as part of my everyday carry, keeping it tucked nicely in my wallet for times when I need to make a quick note and no one has a pen.

This variation on that theme strikes me as a useful alternative.

Sean Singh's Cool Tools review follows.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The Manager Swiss Army Knife has been in my pocket for nearly 2 years. This compact tool has all the useful stuff you expect from the line of Swiss Army knives: blade, scissors, tweezers, file, bottle opener, and separate flat-head & Phillips-head screwdrivers.

What makes it a must-have is the retractable ballpoint pen. It’s smooth writing and hasn’t dried out on me in the past 2 years. I’ve taken meeting notes, written checks, and signed receipts. Just extend the combination Philips-head/bottle opener tool for a more comfortable grip during extended composition sessions.

The Manager comes to the rescue time after time for occasional writing needs and tiny DIY tasks because it’s always in your pocket. (I just changed the batteries in a Nerf gun with the Phillips-head screwdriver.) It’s more comfortable to carry in the pocket than a normal pen and more useful, too.

[Victorinox also offers a Midnite Manager model that comes with a built-in LED flashlight in addition to a pen. — Mark Frauenfelder]

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Manager: $24.99.

Midnight Manager (below):

61zNmKByzWL._SL1400_

April 11, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Run Angry

HDJtmtBctyVk2ZrAZzQJ_iIn2FYlhpwGjsrpLjQpzmaTLZX7qkSfTDaz46EarNk=w705

In anger lies power and enhanced performance.

When I saw Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall  exhort his players at half-time during one of their round of 8 or 16 games in the NCAA tourney to "Play Angry," I knew I'd met another acolyte of this anti-Pollyanna approach to athletic competition.

Forget about feeling good while you're dying and about to collapse from overheating and dehydration: it won't get you to the finish line.

A squirt of rage-induced epinephrine from your adrenal glands, though, is just the ticket to help you push through the misery and pain and make it all the way home.

You do not want to be in my vicinity during the final tenth of a mile in local 5K races: I unleash a stream of self-hating invective that I can't hear because the music's so darn loud in my headphones but judging from the dismay on the faces of the runners I pass — and I do pass quite a number, I daresay with no small delight — it isn't very pleasant to listen to.

That's one of the great joys of competing as you age: people say "He's just a crazy old guy who's got early Alzheimer's" and you're forgiven pretty much anything.

I wonder how far that will take me once I start causing trouble with my soon-to-be operational Google Glass.

Heh.

6a00d8341c5dea53ef017c38333706970b-800wi

That is an understatement.

April 11, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

bookofjoe's Favorite Thing, Episode 2 (Blast from the Past) : Thousand Mile Shorts — Most comfortable clothing ever

First featured here on July 6, 2011, I'm still wearing the same pair I had on that day (I have doffed them occasionally in the interim).

Here is that post: not one word has been omitted.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I've been wearing these shorts since forever, having discovered them toward the end of the twentieth century.

They last forever: I'm talking years of daily wear.

The softest fabric you can imagine out of the box and it only gets better with time.

Y

Huge front pockets that'll inhale an iPad mini without burping (see photo above with yardstick).

A perfect thing, are they.

Official Shorts of bookofjoe.

$44.