« May 27, 2013 | Main | May 29, 2013 »

May 28, 2013

Call me Joanna. Just don't call me Ishmael.

Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 9.38.29 AM

Above, an email that came in this morning from Samsung.

I like it.

Names I've been called over the years:

• Josefi

• Joseef

• Jonita

• Jomama

• Josyphilis (my third girlfriend ever, when I was a senior at U.C.L.A. in 1969)

• Josephine

Note to Samsung: I am not now nor have I ever been in possession of a Samsung device, with the exception of a Google Chromebook that I used for less than an hour before deciding it was garbage and selling it cheap to the first person I could find to take it off my hands.

tru dat

May 28, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Butt Station Tape Dispenser/Cutter with Pen & Business Card Holder and Magnetic Feature for Paper Clips et al.

Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 10.28.17 AM

I've heard of multitasking and doing stuff in the bathroom space but this takes things to a whole new level.

314ZfM3ZR8L

Of course, it's on a whimsical level so I guess it's OK.

[via GlowPanda]

May 28, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Turnips in Apple Kraut Brine

B

Pictured above, this extremely limited edition by my Podunk town's artisanal kraut maker Dawn Story's Farmstead Ferments features "Turnips fermented in brine from Farmstead Ferments Apple Kraut."

When Bill called me from Rebecca's with a heads-up that this new creation had just come in, it took me all of 15 seconds to get my fat lazy butt up off and out of my comfy reading spot — where Gray Cat was dozing with jerky, eye-twitching bliss on my chest — and into my vehicle for a quick trip down the street to buy all three jars allotted to this cynosure of a natural foods emporium.

Now, it should be known that Farmstead Ferments turnips, plain and simple, have up to now been my favorite of the wide variety of krauts and fermented products turned out by this remarkable little company.

But when you take those turnips and amp them up and color them pink with Apple Kraut brine, well, you've taken them to a whole new level.

Sublime.

Garlic Mustard & Turnip (below), another very seasonal and limited-edition production, features "Green cabbage, turnips, wild-harvested garlic mustard, onion, yellow and brown mustard seed, and Celtic sea salt."

H

So good.

What crunchy was meant to be, in every sense of the word.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

*Note added at 5:07 p.m. today in response to ivybidder's comment:

Screen Shot 2013-05-28 at 5.04.03 PM

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

*Comments are broken for me on my own blog, believe it or not, and have been for nearly a week; thus, my comments will appear inside the posts they are meant for.

We** apologize for any convenience.

**Gray Cat and I***

***Not really

May 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Peanut Butter & Jelly Clutch — Think outside the girl space

Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 1.43.00 PM copy 2

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 1.43.00 PM

Your Favorite Snack is Now Your Favorite Bag

Why do handbags have to be for girls?

Store your guy stuff in this covert Peanut Butter & Jelly Purse, and then make yourself a sandwich to celebrate like a man.

The Peanut Butter & Jelly Purse is the ultimate in food-shaped storage.

This tasty little bag has a magnetic closure that reveals two bread slices, each lovingly covered with your favorite spreadable goos, which in turn each have a zipper pocket to maximize your storage space.

Girls: Put all of your essentials in the convenient and delicious looking purse and you’ll never need a bulky purse ever again.

Guys: Use it for covert storage of valuables or illicit things (or stuff you don't want your peanut-allergic friends to find) — just watch out for anyone who goes to eat it.

Features and Details:

• Two pockets in one with magnetic closure

• 5.5" x 4" x 1"

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

May 28, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Got Wood?

C

Kevin Kelly featured the book "Understanding Wood" in Cool Tools, writing "Wood is one of the most versatile materials known. You can coax it into uncountable forms. However, it exhibits extremely complex behavior, as if it were still living. This tome dives deep into woodology and offers deep insight into what wood wants. It is essential for anyone wishing to master working with wood."

He had me at the graphic up top, which opened my eyes big-time to what lies beneath the warp.

Its caption: "Various shapes of red pine have been dried and superimposed on their original positions on an adjacent log section. The greater tangential than radial shrinkage causes squares to become diamond-shaped, cylinders to become oval. Quarter-sawn boards seldom warp, but flat-sawn boards cup away from the pith.

Caption for the photo below:

"Red oak end grain cut with a ripsaw (right) mangles the cell structure. A crosscut saw (left) severs the fibers cleanly."

Screen Shot 2013-05-27 at 2.54.43 PM

May 28, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Tree Shadow Chandelier

20130406-120232

That's different.

20130406-120240

•••••••••••••••••••••

The light sculpture Forms in Nature is partly inspired by Ernst Haeckel's (1834-1919) detailed plots from nature and is a further development of Hilden & Diaz's fascination with mirrors, as they have previously applied them in other artworks.

Using a simple action — intensifying the brightness at the center of the artwork — the light transforms the space and adds character, as the work throws oversized shadows onto walls and ceilings in the space in which it hangs.

The light source is surrounded by a dense and unruly tree and root system created in miniature.

The forest is mirrored around its horizontal central axis and forms a 360° circle around the light
source and thereby leads one to the notion of a real world versus an underworld.

Interestingly, the roots are those elements of the forest that are the most visible.

As the intensity of the light source increases, the room changes and the space slowly becomes more fascinating.

The shadows engulf the room and transform the walls into unruly shadows of branches, bushes and gnarled trees.

Mirrorings are thrown out upon the walls and ceilings and provide weak Rorschach-like hints of faces.

Dimming the lights transforms the installation and one senses a weak fire burning deep in the center of the forest.

•••••••••••••••••••••