« Hand-cut leaded crystal LED light bulb | Home | BehindTheMedspeak: "Surrender Your Say!" — Experience what it's like to have Tourette's »

June 19, 2013

Do you believe in magic? (Death of a fanboi)

Apple, you made my life so great for so many years, all the way back to the 80s when I bought my first machine, an Apple II so my daughter and I could play "Prince of Persia" (above).

Now I'm totally tricked out: iMac, MacBook Pro with Retina Display, MacBook Air, iPad 3, iPad mini, iPhone 5, and iPod shuffle.

Oh, and don't forget my 2004 PowerBook, still working just fine.

So I think it's fair to call myself a card-carrying fanboi.

But I've purchased my last Apple product.

The magic is gone.

The company is now running on the fumes of Steve Jobs' legacy mojo — and the pipeline doesn't look very promising.

What, a watch?

A 55" Apple TV?

Are you kidding me?

In nine days I'm getting Google Glass and Apple's gonna gradually become a fond memory as I replace my hardware with other brands.

It was fun — wonderful, life-changing fun — while it lasted.

But the music died on October 5, 2011.

June 19, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Do you believe in magic? (Death of a fanboi):

Comments

The Tide Rises, the Tide Falls.

Posted by: joepeach | Jun 20, 2013 4:57:39 PM

Shorter Joe: because I'm not inspired by the rumors about upcoming Apple products, I won't buy the actual breakthrough products that Apple comes out with in the future.

Posted by: Andrew | Jun 20, 2013 1:57:22 PM

You neglected to mention your Apple TV. The puck. Have you ceased using it, too?

I recently bought a ROKU 3 "puck" and while it performs well and gives me access to British programming, the remote is far larger than the Apple TV's remote and, aside from the British programming, the Apple TV provides a vastly wider array of high quality options to watch.

Unlike you, I have a Mac Mini running Snow Lion server and I use it for a vast number of tasks that I'd never be able to match with any other single box. I have not "upgraded" the server software in years and soon I'll be facing Apple's up or out policy - but, recent versions of the server software have been dumbed down and while I could cobble together UNIX versions of the tools that I have now (tools that are presently seamlessly integrated into the Snow Lion Apple UI) I really can't see how I'll make that upward change unless the server for the new Mac Pro brings back my integrated server environment.

I hope that you are wrong. Apple's fit and finish (and device longevity) are second to none. Yes, their stock is trading in the low $400's today - nearly half of its all time high reached less than a year ago - and, yes they are cobbling together a bond issue and stock buy back deal to bolster their slumping market price (while holding vast untaxed sums overseas) that serve as indicators to me that the company has become MBA territory - but, they have Jony Ive.

As a myope with short-arm-disease I won't be a Google Glass consumer anytime soon - and, I'm going to see where you go with the device. I have high hopes, but low expectations.

Posted by: 6.02*10^23 | Jun 20, 2013 10:28:52 AM

The problem with not being happy with Apple is that when you look at the quality of other products, they are severally lacking.

Beyond that, it isn't the big products...Apple made inroads to a lot of different areas that were there, but were languishing. I had a tablet 10 years ago. And gave it away. I had a Newton and it was awesome, but it was before its time. When all my friends were on Palms, I eventually got one...and I was surprised how limited it was compared to the Newton. The need for a mobile internet made both products lack...the iPhone with always on internet? This was it.

And the invisible touches. Things you don't realize how important they are until you use something that doesn't have it. I have 3 top of the line PC laptops and they are all unusable. My nerds use them, and they seem happy, and then I gave one an older Macbook to do something because I needed him to learn some Unix and figured the command line would come in handy. We researched a virtual unix environment for the PC and decided I'd get the old Mac back in exchange for the top of the line PC...and my nerd didn't want to leave it.

Its the invisible touches that make the difference. And they are the things most people don't get until they use one.

As for Google Glass? It sounds amazing. I wish they made one that worked with regular glasses. But it won't replace the need for other things...I just with Google and Apple made their products a little most compatible.

Posted by: clifyt | Jun 20, 2013 9:40:50 AM

That's so very sad, on the day when the L.A. Unified School District announced that it was giving an ipad to each and every student. I myself am waiting for the ipad 5, since the current model feels too heavy and the lack on retina on the mini left me cold. No Joe, if you go, who will vindicate my patience?

Posted by: tamra | Jun 20, 2013 1:00:46 AM

I think you've confused the hype and rumor-mongering with reality.

When did Apple ever say they were making an Apple TV? So far as I can tell it's all just rumors that have been circulating for a couple years now.

The same goes for the iWatch. Rumors of that device go back a couple years as well, and there is no evidence that it exists either.

Posted by: Nate | Jun 19, 2013 8:18:48 PM