« July 5, 2013 | Main | July 7, 2013 »

July 6, 2013

Photos of children around the world with their most prized possessions

Wrote Amanda Gorence in Feature Shoot:

"Shot over a period of 18 months, Italian photographer Gabriele Galimberti's Gabriele Galimberti's project 'Toy Stories' compiles photos of children from around the world with their prized possesions — their toys. Galimberti explores the universality of being a kid amidst the diversity of the countless corners of the world; saying, 'at their age, they are pretty all much the same; they just want to play.'"

"But it's how they play that seemed to differ from country to country. Galimberti found that children in richer countries were more possessive with their toys and that it took time before they allowed him to play with them (which is what he would do pre-shoot before arranging the toys), whereas in poorer countries he found it much easier to quickly interact, even if there were just two or three toys between them."

"There were similarites too, especially in the functional and protective powers the toys represented for their proud owners. Across borders, the toys were reflective of the world each child was born into — economic status and daily life affecting the types of toys children found interest in. 'Toy Stories' doesn't just appeal in its cheerful demeanor, but it really becomes quite the anthropological study."

[via Stephanie Buck]

July 6, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Skooba Cable Stable — "Efficient travel storage for your electronic gear"

Screen Shot 2013-07-06 at 2.24.53 PM

Here's Engadget writer Brian Heater's Cool Tools review of this pretty useful looking accessory.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

Screen Shot 2013-07-06 at 2.24.40 PM

I do a lot of traveling for Engadget. I go to a lot of conferences and I bring my Skooba Cable Stable with me on all my trips. It looks like a standard binder bag. Inside, there are elastic straps for corralling all of the different things I need as a 24-hour blogger who shoots and produces web video on the go.

Screen Shot 2013-07-06 at 2.26.41 PM

It's got my Verizon Jetpack modem, battery charger, Ethernet cable, Elgato turbo stick (a great way to crunch up video and upload it quickly), various USB cords, some shammies, assorted flash drives, my business cards, and some pens (because every once in a while you do actually need to write things on paper). It's pretty decently padded, and you could probably fit a 7-inch tablet in there as well.

Screen Shot 2013-07-06 at 2.26.18 PM

For a very long time, I just had a jumbled mess of cords in my bag. My New Year's resolution was to be more organized. This is the closest I'll probably come to being able to do that.

Skooba makes very rugged things. I've had cases by them that have lasted me for years. I would say this has been a game changer for me. It has completely changed the way I do shows.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

$28.33

July 6, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Devo's Drummer Died at 58

Here's his Associated Press obituary as published in the New York Times on June 26, 2013.

MYERS-obit-popup

••••••••••••••••••••••••

Alan Myers, the longtime drummer of the band Devo, best known for its 1980 hit "Whip It," died on Monday in Los Angeles. He was 58.

His death was confirmed by Michael Pilmer, a spokesman for Devo. Mr. Myers had brain cancer.

Mr. Myers was Devo’s drummer during the band’s heyday, from 1976 to 1985.

Devo (short for "devolution") was formed in Akron, Ohio, in the early 1970s by the singer Mark Mothersbaugh and the bassist Gerald Casale. Known for its use of electronics and its herky-jerky rhythms, the group made its initial breakthrough in 1977 with its version of the Rolling Stones hit "(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction."

Mr. Myers was not an original member, but he joined Devo long before it became an MTV staple and played on its earliest albums.

Mr. Casale told The Associated Press on Wednesday that Devo would never have reached the heights it did without Mr. Myers, whom he called the best drummer he had ever played with.

We were mostly in basements and garages writing songs. It was Alan that brought everything to life,” Mr. Casale said. "That was the catalyst where everything clicked."

People watching him thought we were using a drum machine," he added. "Nobody had ever drummed like that."

July 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Seconds — Dinner plates from the Bizarro World

Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 4.13.49 PM

I love these.

Porcelain dinner plates designed by Jason Miller.

Dinner-Plate-Set_1024x1024

Set of four: $130.

[via the New York Times]

July 6, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Glass Effect: Day 2 — On Google+ and Glass-related posts

20130705_121849_234

This slot, focused on what's happening on my Google+, is kind of a virtuous — yeah, virtual too, as I think about it — circle re: my getting in tune with Google Glass.

The more I use it the more I like it and the more things I realize I can do with it.

20130705_140741_425

So having to create new material every day in the form of pictures and/or videos that appear in time for this post (as of right now — 2:30 pm. Friday — I've put up a total of eight new ones since yesterday's maiden voyage) not only provides a bit of diversion from your insomniac misery but also moves me along toward a better understanding of the power of the tool I've been given.

20130705_140853_730

It appears that every picture and video I take with Glass is uploaded automatically (when I'm connected to the Internet via WiFi or cellphone network) to my Google+ page, where I can choose to delete them, make them public, or just let them rest there incognito till I decide what to do with them.

I wonder how long till the J.D. Salinger estate files suit to prevent Google from using Glass.

heh

20130705_141740_009

Above, a few shots of Gray Cat's hard knock life, taken over a 15 minute period yesterday afternoon.

That's my treadmill workspace in this photo:

20130705_141900_080

Unless I note otherwise, assume that all photos and videos appearing on bookofjoe in this 4:01 a.m. slot were taken with Google Glass.

••••••••••••••••••••••••

Note added at 3:54 p.m. Saturday, July 6: I just learned that you don't have to join or be logged into Google+ to view public videos, pictures, and posts — only if you wish to leave a comment do you have to be a Google+ member.

So Marianne, you're money!

w00t!

July 6, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Boccia ID Watch Configurator

Screen Shot 2013-07-05 at 6.04.19 PM

How cool is this?

"14 different strap colors, 2 case colors, 19 different sub-hand colors, 19 different hand colors, 33 different dial colors, 19 different bezel colors, mineral or sapphire crystal."

Surely you can find something you like amongst all those possibilities.

Can't you?

45mm case; water-resistant to 330 feet.

Starts at $225 from Boccia, or you can pick from a number of preselected, undoubtedly popular combinations at Amazon for the same price and get free Prime shipping.

But wait: there's more — for far less.

How about zero?

Does free work for you?

'Cause it works really well for us here at joeWorld.

See, you don't need to buy a watch from them, you just bookmark the site — which keeps your correct time 24/7/365 on the face of the working watch you're playing around with on the screen — and then, instead of working and doing what you're supposed to be doing, you sneak over there and while away the boring hours creating zillions of wacky fun color combos to your heart's content.

Take screenshots and mail 'em to your friends!

Print your favorites, then cut them out and make a paper watch to wear around and out.

Oodles of fun for the whole family.

Calvin Klein, on the occasion of the opening of his then-flagship store, designed by John Pawson if memory serves, on Fifth Avenue in New York, remarked, "You don't need to buy anything; just feel the fabric."

Well, then.