« July 8, 2013 | Main | July 10, 2013 »

July 9, 2013

"Cat Deco" — The latest from Flautist's Motley Apricot Paintworks

Il_570xN.477798530_l4nf

bookofjoe's favorite commenter and artist has broken new ground with this wonderful new painting, just up today in her shop.

I'd buy every painting she has for sale if I had the money.

I've got some small things she's sent me over the years on a shelf that's kind of a shrine, it's so wacky and kewl.

But I digress.

This acrylic on wood signed original is cheap at twice the $120 price.

Love it.

July 9, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Cuppo — "Pocket on the wall" minimalist storage solution

Cupposquare_grande

No moving parts is always a good idea.

Cuppo_main_2_grande

From the website: "Essentially a small container that can be attached to almost any surface. Coming in a multitude of colors, Cuppo could either hide inconspicuously mute along a white wall or be purposefully prominent in order to remind the user not to forget important items when leaving the home.

"Cuppo recently won Hanover's iF Design Award of 2013 — one of the most prestigious awards celebrating outstanding product design."

3.9"W x 3.3"D x 3"H.

Cuppo_blue_cut_grande

Blue

$20.

July 9, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

"Leave the shoes. Take the gun." — Chon Day

Shoe-salesman1

Chon Day's cartoon appeared in the December 14, 1946 issue of the New Yorker.

It's among Bob Mankoff's 11 favorite New Yorker cartoons ever.

Said Mankoff, "This is a simply perfect cartoon; it's perfectly constructed. We have no empathy or sympathy for the pain-in the-ass old biddy. Then there's this guy, this shoe salesman, bringing out hundreds of shoes. We think he's reaching for another black shoe and it turns out he's reaching for a gun. But this is important: we know he's not going to kill her. If he shot her, it'd be horrible. This is fantasy, not reality."

[via TED Blog]

July 9, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Concrete Card Holder (not suitable for a concrete overcoat; just sayin')

Leibal_businessconcrete_main_1024x1024

Concretebusiness1_1024x1024

••••••••••••••••••••

Leibal_businesscard_portliving_2_1024x1024

Concrete Card Holder is a minimalist design created by Zeitgeist Factory.

Leibal_businesscard_portliving_3_1024x1024-1

The card holder is handcrafted from our proprietary blend of cement and recycled stone dust which is a by-product (FunFact: either "by-product" or "byproduct" are acceptable: you could look it up) of the countertop industry.

Leibal_businesscard_portliving_4_1024x1024

It is designed to hold cards vertically or horizontally.

Each concrete peg fits snugly to the business card holder via silicone O-rings.

2.5"W X 2.5"D.

••••••••••••••••••••

White or Dark: $30 (cards not included).

July 9, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Catme 13/Glass Effect: Day 5 — POV mile run at last night's Charlottesville Track Club all-comers meet

The Charlottesville Track Club holds a series of summer evening all-comers meets every year.

2013summertrackmeets

No pre-entry or pre-registration, $1 for members/$2 for non-members to run all the events you want.

Last night's (Monday July 8) was the first of three weekly meets this month comprising this year's series.

I decided to drop down from my usual 5K (12.5 laps of the magnificent new world-class UVA track at Lannigan Field) and instead put all my energy and running wood behind the very fastest mile I was capable of running while filming the whole thing with Glass.

I was thinking it might be less disturbing and disorienting than the video I shot a couple days ago of my two-mile cross-country run from my house into town.

This morning's video offers a minute or two of pre-race activity as well as some post-race stuff.

Going in, my goal was to break 7 minutes.

I ran a 7:04 mile at a meet on this very same track in May, my first timed mile in at least a decade.

Watch the video (up top) and see if I succeeded last night.

Tell you what: that last lap hurt — big-time.

But then, that's the way it's supposed to be: if it didn't hurt, well, then, I left something in the tank — and that's not the way you play the game.

July 9, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Gallium — The metal that melts in your hand

Gallium-melts-in-your-hand-8015

From A Must Need: "The chemical element gallium does not exist in pure form in nature, but since it's so magical and cool looking all solid-to-liquid-at-the-touch-of-a-human-hand and all, of course man figured out a way to extract it from bauxite and zinc ores to use as his personal plaything. The shiny silvery masses begin liquifying at 85.85°F; when placed on the palm... a hunk of gallium will melt into an oozy yet glistening metallic blob in five to seven minutes."

Gallium-melts-in-your-hand-8016

"Unlike mercury, gallium is non-toxic. You could probably even swallow it, as it has been incorporated into some pharmaceuticals and radiopharmaceuticals for medical applications."

"All gallium available for public acquisition appears to be 99.99% pure. It is sold on Amazon in quantities ranging from 10 to 500 grams."

From $19.71.