« July 11, 2013 | Main | July 13, 2013 »

July 12, 2013

"My new favorite building in Milan" — Michael Boodro

Screen Shot 2013-06-17 at 8.36.18 AM

Added Boodro in his tweet, "And how I feel returning to a cold, gray, and rainy NYC."

[via Laren Stover]

July 12, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

What is it?

1 copy

Answer here this time tomorrow.

Hint: smaller than a bread box.

Another: suitable for use both outdoors and inside.

A third: not intended for — nor is there a place for it — in anyone's batterie de cuisine (just sayin', Mr. L.A. correspondent). heh

July 12, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (7) | TrackBack

Concrete Tent

YouTube caption: "Watch Richard Ambrose and Jonny Phillips quickly construct a building made of concrete canvas — a material that has all the elements of concrete, but is flexible enough to be turned into any shape. This technology allows people to erect permanent structures in a fraction of the time needed for traditional building techniques."

[via William Gibson]

July 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Mike's Belay Glasses — Can your Google Glass do this? (Mine can't)

•••••••••••••••••••••••

IMG01159-20120324-1519

Mike's Belay Glasses are a no-hassle way of equipping oneself with the latest in Littrow prism technology to ease the belayer's lot in life.

Basically, one looks forward to gaze upward, saving on neck strain.

1. They allow the belayer to comfortably assume a position closer to the base of climbs, which translates to a safer belay.

2.  They allow the belayer to more fully concentrate attention to the task at hand, especially on long, protracted sessions.

3. They accomplish this at roughly 1/4 the cost of the other product on the market — much easier for average climber's budget.

4. One of the advantages of prismware is that it doesn't invert the image of the climber the way a mirror would — also, it slightly magnifies what one sees.

5. Note that all belay glasses currently manufactured use a 60° (not 90°) deviation. 90° would cause a great deal of the field of vision to be obscured by one's face and hair.

•••••••••••••••••••••••

[via a member of my Crack LA Correspondent Team®™©]

July 12, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack

Catme13/GlassEffect8: Pushups

Above, I attempt to do one more pushup than my previous best (14 + 1 = 15).

Fair warning: On days when I don't have the inclination or energy to make a 4:01 a.m. Catme13/GlassEffect video, my pushup effort will serve as a placeholder.

Full disclosure: I began my pushup campaign on May 21, 2013, when I was able to do 6.

Since then, I have made an attempt on average every other day, sometimes missing 2 or even 3 days before resuming my quest for (are you sitting down?) 100 uninterrupted in one session.

The reason I started in at all is that it occurred to me that my upper body is not nearly as fit and strong as my lower body as a result of the fact that my only strenuous physical activity is running.

I've never ever lifted weights, nor have I any interest in doing so.

I was told pushups — the old-fashioned kind you did in junior high school P.E. — are an excellent upper body strengthener, so I did some research and reading and that seems to be true.

Thus, my program.

Did I do 15 in the video?

Sadly, no.

Watch and witness my epic collapse as I approached my goal.

But as Annie sang, there's always tomorrow.

Allez!

July 12, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Bloom Pen

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 4.51.43 PM copy

Elegant.

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 4.51.35 PM copy

"The stem and blade of Pooleaf is made of silicone which is harmless to humans."

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 4.52.37 PM

"It has good grip and sways gently while you use it."

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 4.52.00 PM copy

Forest Green, Spring Green, Yellow Green.

Screen Shot 2013-07-11 at 4.50.46 PM