« July 13, 2013 | Main | July 15, 2013 »

July 14, 2013

BehindTheMedspeak: How to stay safe in a hospital or doctor's office

Photo copy 4

Above, excellent advice from an ad that appears in today's Charlottesville Daily Progress, placed by local attorney Christine Thomson

Screen Shot 2013-07-14 at 10.14.06 AM

on behalf of her firm.

Everything she says is true.

Heed her words.

My advice: do anything you can not to enter a hospital or doctor's office.

Do not do things electively.

Wait 24 hours if it's not an obvious and clear emergency.

99% of things that drive people with a short fuse/hair trigger/low threshold for intervention/high anxiety level to seek medical help disappear — on their own — within 24 hours.

Trust me on this.

I'm a doctor.

I see the 99%.

That's how I make my living.

But I'd much rather you stayed home and let it pass on its own.

July 14, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Ice Cream Cone Bean Bag Chair

Screen Shot 2013-07-14 at 3.10.36 PM

Love the German name: "Sitzsack."

Screen Shot 2013-07-14 at 3.10.42 PM

€155.

Screen Shot 2013-07-14 at 3.10.46 PM

[via 1 Design Per Day]

July 14, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Experts' Expert: Hotel Tonight can get you a room WAY cheaper than what you'll pay on your own

Mzl.ziqtityq.320x480-75

Jeez, I'd wish I'd had this app BEFORE I went to New York on the last Friday in June to pick up Google Glass.

Mzl.uxbzokfm.320x480-75

Long story short: my flight home that evening was cancelled by Delta with 7 hours notice because of approaching thunderstorms.

Mzl.eqjigfst.320x480-75

I was stranded in Gotham on a Friday afternoon with no hotel room.

From Google Glass HQ I made a reservation for that night for The Standard High Line: the cheapest room they had cost $420.

I took it with alacrity.

Why'd I opt for that hotel?

Walking distance from Google.

I was so zombified by the previous week's excitement and lack of sleep, I just wanted something nearby and fast.

Now I find out, courtesy of Mark Frauenfelder's Cool Tools post, that Hotel Tonight might well have gotten me a room at the same establishment for less — maybe much less — than what I paid.

Have a look at what I just found using the app:

Photo

a room with a street rate of $385 for $275.

I'll take that $110, thank you very much.

Never again.

Here's what Mark wrote:

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Last year my wife and I found ourselves in Scottsdale, Arizona without a hotel room. We came across a hotel that looked good (The Saguaro) and asked the front desk attendant about the price: $279 a night. I was about to pull out my wallet when I remembered that a week earlier I'd installed a free app called Hotel Tonight, so I pulled out my smartphone instead to see if I could get a better deal. It was quite a bit better: $89 a night. I showed the price to the attendant and asked if he could match that price. He said no.

I stepped aside from the counter and made the reservation through Hotel Tonight. Then my wife and I sat in the lobby for a few minutes sipping water drawn from a chilled glass urn with citrus slices floating in it. I returned to the desk and told the clerk I had a reservation. He looked at my driver’s license, tapped something on his terminal and smiled as he handed me my room key. I don’t think he remembered me.

I've used Hotel Tonight several times since then. It offers its service in most major cities. Here's the deal: you can't use the app until noon local time, so if you are in a city during a busy time of the year, the pickings will be slim. Also, the deals in traditionally expensive cities like New York or San Francisco are not nearly as good as places like Portland or Reno. Still, if you ever end up in a city without a room, it's worth checking Hotel Tonight to see if you can save a few bucks.

July 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack

NeverWet — Rustoleum's new superhydrophobic spray

NeverWet-Featured-590x330

Below, excerpts from Russell Holly's Geek.com story:

••••••••••••••••••••••

We've all picked our jaws up off the floor as one syperhydrophobic material or another was shown off on YouTube, but you can now purchase this material in a very simple and inexpensive package. We took a quick look at Rustoleum's new NeverWet spray.

The process is very simple, and outlined quite well on the box. You apply the bottom coat to whatever surface you want to protect, wait 30 minutes, and then apply the top coat. 30 minutes after the top coat is applied your surface is ready for testing. It's worth pointing out that the bottom coat contains chemicals that could strip paint, so be sure to test the surface you want to coat before emptying a can on it.

Also, when the second coat dries, the surface you have sprayed will have a frosted white coating to it, so make sure you’re OK with that look before applying NeverWet.

Once you have applied the coating, you’ll see pretty quickly that it works as advertised.

Water can't get away from this coating fast enough, which is exactly what it was supposed to do. The first few times liquid hits this coating, some excess particles of Neverwet will roll away with it. In fact, the first quantity of water I poured over the railing was almost entirely white with the excess coating, as were my fingers when playing with the water droplets. If you’re going to be using NeverWet in an area with high traffic, you'll probably want to wash away the excess coating before letting people use it. On wood, NeverWet seemed to rub away pretty easily, so if you no longer see the frosted white glaze on your surfaces it's probably time for another coating.

Despite the original video demonstrations for NeverWet, the instructions make it pretty clear that you aren't supposed to use this on electronics or clothing. The frosted white look really wouldn't work out well with your smartphone, and the only way you'd know it's time for a new coat of NeverWet would be after it stopped working.

••••••••••••••••••••••

[via Leah O]

July 14, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Catme13/GlassEffect9: A Visit to the World-Class Cheese Department at Feast!

Believe it or not, my Podunk town (tiny Charlottesville, nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in central Virginia) has a fantastic cheese emporium, presided over by Sara Adduci, formerly of Richmond and fortunately (for cheese lovers like myself) relocated to my town.

Above, a look at the cheeses yesterday afternoon through Google Glass.

Bon appetit!

July 14, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Cree 9.5 Watt LED Light Bulb — "I see this as a game changer"

Creereview-2

Louis Nettels reviewed this bulb in Cool Tools as follows:

••••••••••••••••••••••

I have used Cree LED warm bulbs for a month and they are a excellent replacement for a 60 Watt incandescent bulb.

The light is better than CFLs I have used.

This new 800 lumen light has a color temperature of 2700K, on 9.5 watts.

It has the shape and general look of a incandescent bulb and is a screw-in replacement.

It works with dimmer switches.

Its rated life is 25,000 hours and it comes with a 10-year warranty.

I see this as a game changer and a CFL killer.

••••••••••••••••••••••