« July 19, 2013 | Main | July 21, 2013 »

July 20, 2013

The view from Russian dashboard cameras ain't NOTHING like Glass!

Via Joe Peach who added, "Amazing footage. Wow!!! Not for the faint-hearted. This is why Russians use dashboard cameras: amazing!"

I am a first-generation American, both of whose parents were born in Russia.

This video — and others of its ilk — makes me feel I couldn't have come from better stock.

July 20, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (6) | TrackBack

Expert's Expert: Bose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones are the best in the world

71j1qWRHHGL._SL1200_

Read test engineer Robert Hastings' review (below) and then explain to me why you'd buy anything else if hearing protection was your goal.

51l4L5ObYML._SL1024_

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

61tOOoC7LPL._SL1000_

I'm a test engineer for large tape libraries in a noisy lab. (It's one of the best jobs in the world — making robots crash into each other at high speeds may not be the sine qua non of computer manufacture, but it’s just plain fun.)

Between the HVAC, the server farm, and the bot wars, it’s noisy. Needless to say, this affects my hearing — so much that my wife thinks my favorite phrase is "Would you say that again, honey?" After many false starts, I finally found a set of noise cancelling headphones that I can wear all day without making my ears sore, and are durable enough to last two years (so far).

With 20 test engineers in the lab using these, the bar is set pretty high. Collectively, my group has bought a lot of hearing protection, and these are the only ones that are durable, effective, and comfortable. The old adage "cheap, comfortable, effective – pick any two" applies here — Bose QuietComforts cost $300, but cheaper ones just don't cut the mustard.

The signal processing in QC15s is excellent, but cheaper models come close. The real secret sauce is the comfort engineering — nobody else comes close to Bose. They are suitable for enjoying music, but that's a secondary benefit. You can wear them for a full day, and your ears aren't sore — that’s key.

If your employer won't pay for these, buy them anyway. You're worth it.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

$299.

July 20, 2013 at 06:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

The great Peter Sellers

Wrote Flautist, "Peter Sellers has been one of my idols ever since I saw Dr. Strangelove (way back in 1964) and I've always thought of him as one of the most unknowable and unreachable of actor/comedians, but this Michael Parkinson intereview with him in 1974 is wonderfully engaging.  Irritatingly, it's chopped up into four parts, but it's worth it.  Such genius."

Part 2.

Part 3.

Part 4.

July 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

French Fry Hairband

HH14-12

Rusty Blazenhoff, your accessory has finally arrived.

16093c70-s

3,800円.

HH14-11

[via iseebitarou]

July 20, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Catme13/GlassEffect15 — In the bank drive-thru line behind an idiot as seen through Google Glass

Videre est credere.

July 20, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Stretching Breath Training Mouthpiece Breathing Exercise Tool — "No stretch, no life"

Stretching-breath-training-mouthpiece-2

Got that?

Stretching-breath-training-mouthpiece-4

Stretching-breath-training-mouthpiece-3

•••••••••••••••••••••••

Stretching-breath-training-mouthpiece-1

"No stretch, no life."

Stretching-breath-training-mouthpiece-1 copy

So says Tadashi Kaneko, celebrity sports stretching trainer.

Using this Stretching Breath Training Mouthpiece three times a day will transform your respiration and general health.

Improving your lungs and breathing improves your posture, improving your general physical shape and beauty.

What is important here is not only how you breath, but also what your body is doing at the same time.

A 40-minute DVD is included wherein Tadashi Kaneko goes through the breathing exercises and best stretching positions to get a full workout with the aid of the mouthpiece.

And then, as correct breathing becomes natural and automatic for you, you will find your overall body changing, enhancing your hips, bust, and butt.

Features and Details::

• 2.1" x 4.9" x 1.2"

• Instructions: Japanese (but easy to understand)

• Includes mouth exerciser, pouch, training DVD (Japanese only)

•••••••••••••••••••••••