« July 24, 2013 | Main | July 26, 2013 »

July 25, 2013

Orchestra Da Camera — What kind of music can 40 mice make?

"Orchestra Da Camera is a musical installation in which the 40 elements of the chamber are mice running on their enclosed wheels. Each wheel is connected to a carillon and when it turns the carillon starts playing its musical note. The great number of carillons and the random actions of the living creatures makes unrecognizable the melodies (lullabies by Brahms, Schubert, and Mozart ) creating an unexpected musical carpet determined by the mice."

Quiet ensemble was formed in 2009 by Fabio Di Salvo and Bernardo Vercelli, who emailed me news of his group earlier today.

Their website is here.

Also on Facebook and Twitter.

Somewhere John Cage... is smiling.

July 25, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

PocketMonkey

Pocketmonkey_headphonewrap_crop

Is that a monkey in your pocket or... no, no, not here, not that, not now: what's wrong with me?

Pocketmonkey_bottleopener_crop

"The PocketMonkey

Pocketmonkey_hexwrench_crop

is a 12-in-one stainless-steel utility tool

Sku_backside

thin enough (1mm) to fit in the credit card slot of your wallet yet strong enough to handle everything from opening a bottle to loosening a tight screw."

Sku_zootilitiysetof2

Video below.

Two for $23.95.

[via Richard Kashdan]

July 25, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

"Never, ever, think outside the box." — Leo Cullum

Never-think-outside-the-box1

Bob Mankoff said of this cartoon — one of his 11 favorite New Yorker cartoons ever (it appeared in the November 30, 1998 issue), "This takes an empty-headed cliché and adds a little bit of scatological reference. The two associations make this a great cartoon."

He musingly added, "We definitely don't want cats to think outside the box."

[via TED Blog]

July 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

What are they?

U

Answer here this time tomorrow.

Hint: smaller than a bread box.

Another: suitable for use both indoors and out.

A third: not meant to be part of your batterie de cuisine.

Somewhere in a secure, undisclosed location in the greater Atlanta area, Flautist is laughing so hard she's choking, absolutely beside herself with glee as she prepares to weigh in here.

What I was thinking, anticipating her take on these: OMG.

July 25, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (15) | TrackBack

Catme 13/Glass Effect 20: Last night's Downtown Mile Race

It was scheduled to start at 7 p.m. and Glass was shooting video when a bolt of lightning hit close to the starting area at 6:50 p.m.

That stopped race preparations cold as everyone headed for shelter to see if the sudden thunderstorm would stop.

It abated enough that the race organizers decided to go ahead, even though it was still raining lightly.

Too wet for Glass, regardless of Scoble's much-ballyhooed shower with his.

I put mine in a Zip-Lok bag that I always carry in my running shorts pocket, then asked a trustworthy looking young spectator to take care of it for me and I'd get it at the finish line.

I told him I'd let him try Glass in return for his keeping it safe and he agreed to that.

So, no POV race video as I'd have liked to have shown you here.

But — on the brighter side, the rain cooled things down and I was fired up, so much so that not only did I break through the 7-minute-mile barrier I'd been smashing into and failing to crack the past three weeks, I shattered it with a rockin' 6:48 mile the last quarter of which was at a smokin' fast pace, with me passing a lot of people.

Turns out that was good enough for first place for men 60-69 and since the awards ceremony was under a giant pavilion tent, I filmed that through Glass: it appears up top.

Here's a photo I took of Blake Niccum — the fellow who transported my Glass to the finish line in its Zip-Lok bag as he said he would — with his iPhone as he took Glass for a test ride after the race, as promised.

Mm

Below, a photo he took of one of his friends with my Glass as he put it through its paces.

H

Turns out he's a recent Baylor graduate in engineering who's starting UVA Medical School this fall, so I'll likely see him around town from time to time.

WAHOOWA!

July 25, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Musical Shower Curtain

81irU+CoHxL._SL1500_

From The Green Head:

71b-Bp72rKL._SL1500_

"Want to listen to your music or podcasts or just keep playing your game while in the shower? It's no longer a problem once you slip your phone, tablet, or MP3 player into this shower curtain. It has built-in speakers and a touch-sensitive waterproof pocket that safely holds your device on the shower-facing side for easy reach and control."

81mOlY6AKRL._SL1500_

$39.99 (phone, tablet, or MP3 player not included).

July 25, 2013 at 12:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack