« August 2, 2013 | Main | August 4, 2013 »

August 3, 2013

Helpful Hints from joeeze: Preventing people from using a wall switch

Vvv

I can't speak for you but I have about three or four wall switches (four — just stopped to count) that should never be used.

Photo copy 3

The reason is that they disable all a room's sockets or somesuch nonesense.

Photo copy 5

After years of yelling "Don't flick that switch!" I took action and taped my problematic switches in the position I wanted them to remain in forever.

Photo copy 4

Exemplars above (the two lower ones are in the basement, hence the rather utilitarian style compared to the two up top.

You can too!

August 3, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (5) | TrackBack

Fog Free Shaving Mirror

Shower-mirror

Excerpts from Gordon Meyer's August 1, 2013 Cool Tools review follow.

••••••••••••••••••••••••

All the experts (as well as first-hand experience) will confirm that shaving in the shower results in the best shave. However, doing so isn't necessarily convenient.

One of the obstacles is being able to see yourself. There are a lot of "shaving mirrors" on the market — I've tried a boatload — but none of them have worked as well as I'd like.

The Shave Well Fog Free Shaving Mirror is the best I've found. It's large enough to see most (if not all) of your face at the same time, the optics are bright and distortion-free, and they truly have solved the fogging problem.

The reason a mirror fogs is simply a matter of environmental science. Those fancy mirrors that you plumb into the shower fixture are horrible (I've tried a couple of them). The Shave Well mirror solves the problem with its acrylic construction and simple design.

Before you use the mirror, you simply lift it off its hook, run it under the water for a few seconds, then hang it back up. This equalizes the temperature and prevents it from fogging. If you're taking a long time to shave... the mirror might start to fog a little after it cools, in which case you just run it under the water again.

The mirror is light, won't break, and is easy to travel with. (Take a suction cup hook with you.) It's also a lot less expensive that many other mirrors that don't work nearly as well.

••••••••••••••••••••••••

August 3, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

1958 Mr. Clean TV commercial (Video)

Growing up in Milwaukee, I bet I watched this commercial 5,000 times.

It is so deeply embedded in my elementary school-aged brain I can sing it perfectly even now — and sometimes do at parties if prompted.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

Mr. Clean gets rid of dirt and grime and grease in just a minute

Mr. Clean will clean your whole house and everything that's in it.

Mr. Clean Mr. Clean Mr. Clean

August 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Clip Tip Ruler

Screen Shot 2013-08-02 at 8.33.22 PM

What took so long?

Screen Shot 2013-08-02 at 8.33.26 PM

5.5"/15cm; stainless steel.

Screen Shot 2013-08-02 at 8.33.32 PM

August 3, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Catme 13/Glass Effect 29 — View to a Kill: Gray Cat hunts a lizard. Google Glass POV (Video)

What happened yesterday morning out front.

Videre est credere.

August 3, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

What is it? (Part 2 of 2)

Nn

Yesterday's Part 1 left people suitably befuddled, perfectly positioned to wrestle with the mystery of today's portion of the thing in toto, which will be revealed to the world — as promised at this time yesterday — at this time tomorrow.

Lacan really was the right guy to invoke, wasn't he?

Hint: smaller than a bread box.

Another: polypropylene.