« August 4, 2013 | Main | August 6, 2013 »

August 5, 2013

Georges Cziffra plays Liszt's "Grand Galop Chromatique" (Video)

Submitted by Flautist who added, "I absolutely LOVE how, right at the end, he sells it with a look: smokin' keys, DAMN I'm good!"

It's worth your time to read about his remarkable life, as recounted in Wikipedia.

Until Flautist sent me the YouTube link, I'd never heard of this man.

How many other fantastic people and things are out there, invisible to me?

Infinitely many.

At least.

August 5, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Magnetic Kitchen Towel

Full-circle-stick-em-magnetic-kitchen-towels-xl

What took so long?

Full-circle-stick-em-magnetic-kitchen-towels-3

Seems obvious now, doesn't it?

91Mw0e1is1L._SL1500_

From The Green Head:

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

A kitchen towel never seems to be where you left or hung it but this new towel gives you more spots to stash it: on anything metallic containing iron.

The super-soft and absorbent bamboo and organic cotton kitchen towel has a handy — and strong — magnet embedded in one corner, allowing you to stick it to the oven, fridge, or other metal objects.

It's machine washable (whether it will stick to the inside of a washing machine or dryer we do not yet know).

The best feature of all, however, is using it to hang up your kid's terrible drawings on the fridge and then cover them up at the same time.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

August 5, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (9) | TrackBack

Crochet Train

Trem-de-crochê-bem-legaus-2

From Bem Legaus! (translated from the original Portuguese):

Trem-de-crochê-bem-legaus-6

"Imagine a real train, with a huge locomotive and two wagons,

Trem-de-crochê-bem-legaus-4

fully 'dressed' in crochet!"

Trem-de-crochê-bem-legaus-3

"For it was this insane task that the Polish artist Olek [above and below]

Trem-de-crochê-bem-legaus-7

with four talented helpers took on

Trem-de-crochê-bem-legaus-5

in the city of Lodz in her native country."

Trem-de-crochê-bem-legaus-9

"It took two full days in cold and rain to create and assemble."

Trem-de-crochê-bem-legaus-1

"The installation will be up through August 19."

August 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Streamlight PolyStinger DS LED Flashlight

Polystinger-led

Steve Garbarino's Wall Street Journal review follows.

Polystinger-led_angle2

•••••••••••••••••••••

Polystinger-led_horiz

Flashlights — we've had a few. But the PolyStinger DS LED polymer portable puts other beacons in its shadow with its three brightness levels (the highest is a 365-lumen beam) and a tail-cap strobe, which runs for up to 5.5 hours and is great for signaling from an attic window or flagging down a cop car. Water-resistant and shock-proof, the slim flashlight comes with a wall-mounted charger as well as one for your car's cigarette lighter.

•••••••••••••••••••••

Polystinger-led-beam-angle

$215; apply within.

August 5, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Catme 13/Glass Effect 31 — Roller skating: Look ma, no Glass! (Video)

Well, gang, guess what: my second pair of Google Glass stopped working Friday afternoon (day 15) while I was out running, after about 40 minutes of sweating and all on a not especially hot (it was around 80° at 7:26 p.m., the last time Glass worked according to its own display) or humid evening.

This is exactly the same pattern that occurred with pair #1, which lasted a total of 17 days before bricking as I cooled down after the July 15, 2013 Charlottesville Track Club All-Comers Meet Mile, which I ran in 7:13 and recorded with Glass but which video was lost forever when the unit froze while I was walking around after the race.

Bottom line: Glass in its current state does NOT play well with sweat.

Forget about rain: I'm talking about a drop of sweat completely destroying the functionality of this exquisite $1,500 piece of kit.

It is like a Lamborghini: exceedingly powerful and elegant and expensive and very, very vulnerable to insult.

Turns out others have had the same problem with sweat bricking the device.

I'm thinking Google's got to solve this problem before putting the consumer version on the market.

But hey, I'm still OK with having paid $1,500 plus the steep price of a one-day round trip flight to New York City and an unexpected overnight hotel room stay when my return trip got cancelled — while I was at Google's Chelsea Market Glass studio getting kitted out — due to thunderstorms.

It's all good.

No worries: after an hour on the phone with the excellent tech support team in Mountain View on Friday night, Glass #3 is speeding its way to me as you read these words and should arrive today or tomorrow, and I'll be back to my new normal with Glass videos pouring out in firehose fashion soon after they arrive.

Good thing this happened now and not next weekend because my BFF Cary arrives from Texas this coming Friday for our first "Joe & Cary Show," airing next Saturday right here.

Should be crazy fun.

Can't hardly wait.

But I digress.

Up top is a movie I made with my iPhone yesterday afternoon at the Carver Recreation Center.

Below, a Vine I shot at the end of my two hour skate.

It shows the inside of my right ankle where it was abraded by the sharp upper edge of the roller skates I used there.

I'd decided to investigate its roller skating offering on Sunday afternoons from 1-6 p.m., arriving at 3:45 p.m.

It was the first time I've been up on skates since I fell in 2001 and broke my collarbone, ending my inline skating career which had been blazing along since I adopted the sport in 1995, to the tune of five straight Athens-to-Atlanta Road Skate 86-Mile Marathons from the years 1996 through 2000:

Screen Shot 2013-08-04 at 7.01.08 PM

My DuraSkate Rank means I'm currently the #104-ranked man in the world in road distance skating: not bad.

One more distance race and I move into the world's top 100: worth the trip, I'm thinking.

But I digress again.

Anyway, cheap plastic quad roller skates like those Carver Recreation Center offers you (free, amazingly, just like admission: they don't even ask for I.D. or proof you live in the city or county, almost confounding in this day and age) are somewhat different than my custom carbon fiber Xenan 5-wheel inline babies ($2,000 in 1998) but it's still wheels and they still go around and around.

Long story short: it was so much fun skating again — took about 15 minutes to get my balance point dialed in after the 12-year hiatus — that I stayed till they shut it down at 5:45 p.m.

That's when I peeled down my sock and saw the blood and all in the video; I mean, it hurt, yeah, but one thing I learned a long time ago is that you never, ever look until you're done with whatever it is you're doing.

Messes up your feng shui or karma or whatever.

Anyway.

I only fell 5 times during two hours of almost continuous skating; must've covered about 10-15 miles, going slowly what with a lot of little kids and shaky skaters out there.

I can't wait to go back two weeks from today with my racing skates with brand-spanking new wheels, which I'll be ordering tonight from Amazon tonight.

Oh, man.

It was nice having a wood gym floor to fall on (I fell five times, none of them really hard and with no broken bones, just a contusion and some internal bleeding and swelling over my right hip, a blip on the screen considering some of the skating falls I've had) rather than sidewalk or street like in my road skating days.

Methinks I'll stick to indoors for the time being before deciding whether to get back outside on the road and get my inline racing mojo revved up.

Boy, it was SO MUCH FUN whizzing around and feeling the air whipping by my face.

By far the best sports activity I've ever taken part in — puts baseball, football, basketball, running, all the rest in the shade.

Skating fast is like flying, it's like nothing else on earth.

zoom Zoom ZOOM!