« August 7, 2013 | Main | August 9, 2013 »

August 8, 2013

Helpful Hints from joeeze: Even better bacon in your oven

B

Cognoscenti know that bacon is best prepared in the oven — the real oven, not the microwave.

From Shannon Friedman Hatch's excellent "Quick Tips" feature in the latest (September & October 2013) issue of Cook's Illustrated comes the nice hack up top, submitted by reader Betty Pfeifer of Bay Village, Ohio.

August 8, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (6) | TrackBack

What is it?

M

Answer here this time tomorrow.

Hint: smaller than a bread box.

Another: equally at home indoors or outside.

A third: no application in the techological or electronic space.

August 8, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (8) | TrackBack

How Google AdSense Sees a French Fry Hairband

Photo

Reader Joe Peach was struck by the AdSense result (above) Google placed on his screen under my post of July 20 featuring a ketchup-accented French Fry Hairband.

He wrote, "I found this ad so odd. Did Google's image convertors see this as a mask for poison gas or ? (It becomes macabre when you really look at it as a mask!).

Joe has remarked in the past on the sometimes surreal juxtapositions of content and computer-algorithm-generated ads he sees; me, I find they're pretty much spot-on.

Though I must admit I smile when I see Gucci or Prada or Fendi opposite some idiotstick item from Archie McPhee.

You know Mark Pahlow and David Wahl — co-conspiritors and mischief-makers extraordinaire at McPhee — are loving it.

A moment ago when I went back to find the hairband post to link to it, this is what Google put up beside it:

Screen Shot 2013-07-24 at 8.31.53 AM

I wonder what Dr. Barry J. Cohen, Board Certified Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon, would say if he knew his precious advertising dollars were being spent on placements like this.

heh

August 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

DIY Sedia Chair

SEDIA-600C_1024x1024

••••••••••••••••••••••

SEDIA-600A_1024x1024

What distinguishes this chair is that you have to build it yourself — all you'll need are your wits, about half an hour of time, and a good hammer.

SEDIA-600b_1024x1024

The Sedia Chair, designed by Enzo Mari in 1974, comes in a small box which contains 13 pre-cut pine boards, a handful of nails, and an ingenious assembly manual.

SEDIA_BMC_GIF_1024x1024

When constructed and in place, the Sedia is not only a comfortable sit but also a chair which makes a wonderful addition in most any room.

••••••••••••••••••••••

$310.

August 8, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Catme 13/Glass Effect 32 — "How much is that kitty in the window?" (Video)

While I await the arrival of my third pair of Google Glass (#2 froze while I was out running last Friday evening, a failure mode almost identical to that of #1 two weeks previously), I'm filling in this slot with some previously unreleased Glass footage ("headage?").

FunFact: I've got scores of Glass videos on my Google+ personal page that have yet to see the public light of day.

Everything I record with Glass automatically uploads there and some of it I've never even viewed.

Nice backup if you're committed to something like this slot, particularly when your hardware's touchy.

I have no problem with discovering Glass's vulnerabilities the hard way: better me than you, I figure.

How much more preferable it would have been to have learned of the potential failure points in the space shuttle before the disasters that made them apparent.

Glass is like a Lamborghini: powerful, elegant, on the technological bleeding edge, expensive and prone to breaking if you so much as look at it wrong.

But mamma mia, when it's cranking and working it's like nothing else on Earth.

August 8, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

What is it?

27-301_3-899x600

Answer here this time tomorrow.

Hint: smaller than a bread box.

Another: designed in Norway.

A third: gender neutral.