« August 26, 2013 | Main | August 28, 2013 »

August 27, 2013

"A Naked Singularity" — Sergio de la Pava

Screen Shot 2013-08-27 at 4.21.01 PM

A wonderful book, which I started reading in bed last week and am now up to page 73 in.

It's 688 pages long — and I wish it were 10 times that.

So good it's unspeakable.

The first four pages appear above and below to give you a taste.

Not for everyone, but it hit my sweet spot.

The book's back story (long story short: it was self-published), related here, here, and here, is in and of itself amazing.

de la Pava does not yet have an English entry in Wikipedia so you'll have to settle for this one in Spanish and then translate it if you're unable to deal.

August 27, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Love Glove — Stand down, it's not Miley Cyrus's new prop

71xCzG8RZZL

Rather, it's Mark Frauenfelder's newest object of affection,

61z7Kbnm90L

as related today in his rave Cool Tools review, which follows.

Love-glove1

••••••••••••••••••••••••

Love-glove3

With three cats in the house, fur gets all over our furniture and clothes.

61IIf0V-jLL

I didn't want to make a dozen Monkey Couch Guardians so I bought a Love Glove to attack the problem at its source — on the cats.

61rZQPG9EoL

The Love Glove looks like an oven mitt.

41Ck82PPTVL

The palm side is covered with rubber nubs.

To use it, you simply pet your cat.

The loose fur comes off and sticks to the glove.

It's easy to peel off.

My cats go into throes of ecstasy when I use the Love Glove on them.

They even get excited just seeing me approach them with the glove on my hand.

I have collected a lot of fur so far.

My younger daughter is saving it because she wants to use it to make the projects in "Crafting with Cat Hair: Cute Handicrafts to Make with Your Cat."

••••••••••••••••••••••••

$5.69 (cat not included).

August 27, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (7) | TrackBack

Mercedes-Benz unveils radical new look

[via Rintaro Watanabe and GammaCounter]

August 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Great shoes from Stella McCartney

Screen Shot 2013-08-26 at 9.57.38 PM

Faux patent leather loafers

Screen Shot 2013-08-26 at 9.57.49 PM

with tortoiseshell heels.

Screen Shot 2013-08-26 at 9.57.53 PM

$935.

Screen Shot 2013-08-26 at 9.58.02 PM

[via the New York Times]

August 27, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Catme 13/Glass Effect 51 — Soccer through Google Glass (video)

Sunday's UVA vs. Santa Clara women's soccer match.

August 27, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Door Stop Alarm

61ZQNsVqiZL._SL1000_

I've seen these advertised forever but never in person nor have I met anyone who's told me about how it worked for them — or didn't.

51Wm3WzbawL._SL1000_

Amazon's got a zillion for sale, starting at $1.99.

Anyone out there know if they're worth having for when you're spending the night in a hotel or for that matter anywhere you'd rather not have someone try to enter?

August 27, 2013 at 12:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack