« September 30, 2013 | Main | October 2, 2013 »

October 1, 2013

It's time for bears — Winnie the Pooh ain't got nothin' on ours

Bear

Above, an email that arrived earlier today, forwarded by the president of our local homeowners' association.

Love it.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

This just in:

Bears2
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

What with Monday's red fox sighting and a flock (five!) of hawks circling later that afternoon (which boring and inconsequential video will premiere here at 4:01 a.m. next Wednesday, October 9) and the many times daily visits from a large number of deer, it would appear my little subdivision — a bit more than a mile west of the Charlottesville city limits — is well and truly on its way to being rusticated.

Love it.

October 1, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Flexible Cutting Board

What took so long?

71UabUg3zbL._SL1500_

I don't understand why Apple doesn't put silicone on the back of iPads so we can use them for cutting boards in a pinch.

71hFDwik8GL._SL1500_

But I digress.

71nco2lUlNL._SL1500_

From The Grommet:

••••••••••••••••••••••

When is a cutting board more than a cutting board?
More than a surface on which to slice and dice, the Chop 'n Drop bends to form a scoop that allows you to easily pour your chopped results into a waiting pot, pan, or bowl.
The Chop 'n Drop is non-stick, will not cross-contaminate, is BPA-free, and it's dishwasher-safe.
12.9" x 9.4"

••••••••••••••••••••••

Set of three (Green, Red, Blue): $14.99.

[via Richard Kashdan]

October 1, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

"This is my 50,000th tweet. Thank you for not smoking."

Screen Shot 2013-10-01 at 7.39.14 AM

Res ipsa loquitur.

It happened at 7:39 a.m. EST this morning.

On to 100,000!

October 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Ponytail Hat & Headband

2243-1.zoom.a

It took me about 10 minutes trying to understand how the hat folded up inside the headband before I looked down on the page and saw that these are two different pieces of kit: each one — the Ponytail Hat and the Ponytail Headband — costs $6.98.

Surely there's a clever boj reader out there who can figure out a way to combine the two into one nifty piece of cold weather headgear: plenty of money to the first mover if you play your cards right.

Fair warning.

And no — no need to pay me a commission for the idea.

Ideas are free around here.

The way we like it.

October 1, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Catme 13/Glass Effect 86 — Red Fox Alert! — through Google Glass (video)

Around noon yesterday Gray Cat, always on guard, spotted a red fox out in my back yard.

With Glass on and ready I was able to dash to the window and capture it on video.

Above, a longer video in which I attempted to get more footage, succeeding toward the end.

October 1, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Tower of Power Measuring Cups

102117_A2_Cups_Measuring_Tower

A 2013 design by Monica Förster.

Porcelain: matte exterior/glazed interior.

$55 (contents not included).

October 1, 2013 at 12:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack