« October 2, 2013 | Main | October 4, 2013 »

October 3, 2013

Map: Paid Maternal Leave Around the World

17coontz2-map-popup

The U.S. is one of only eight countries, out of 188 with known policies, without paid leave.

[Map by the New York Times, via TwistedSifter and Joe Peach]

October 3, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

ParkAtMyHouse.com — "Airbnb without washing sheets"

Screen Shot 2013-10-02 at 4.04.33 PM

So tweeted David Galbraith about this waycool idea.

Monetize yourself.

If you don't, others will.

Fair warning.

October 3, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

Helpful Hints from joeeze: Do your beans* lose their flavor in the microwave overnight?

2199099613_d18e993706

Mine don't but then, I can't speak for you.

Here's the thing: about once a month or so I put something in the microwave in the evening, around 9 or 10 p.m., then get distracted or tired or whatevs and don't discover the contents until the next day — sometimes a couple days.

Depending on what it was I nuked, the contents go into the trash or — in the case of baked beans — I just nuke 'em again for a minute and chow.

That got me to thinking about how, many years ago, I solved the problem of leaving wet clothes in the washing machine overnight and sometimes for days by putting a fridge magnet on the kitchen counter where I couldn't miss it so as to serve as a reminder — like tying a string around your finger — to check the washer and move the clothes to the dryer.

So I thought to myself, "yo joe — how about putting that magnet on the counter whenever you put something in the microwave so you don't forget about it?

And lo and behold, it works.

Work smart not hard.

That's the way I like to live.

Bonus: Free, the way I like it.

*Bush's beans — any of the zillions of flavors and styles they now offer — are my default choice.

Bushs_BaseLinup_22oz

This just in: Bush's just named Official Baked Beans©™® of bookofjoe.

October 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Grocery Bag Can

19302

Finally, a trash can that uses those flimsy plastic bags you get these days everywhere you shop yet manages to camouflage them inside a sleek enclosure.

Screen Shot 2013-10-02 at 8.19.56 PM

From websites:

••••••••••••••••••••

Screen Shot 2013-10-02 at 8.20.01 PM

Plastic grocery bags slide into a resin insert that in turn is housed inside of a stainless steel stainless outer can.

The lid is then placed on top, hiding the unsightly edges of the grocery bag.

13"H x 11"D x 6"W.

••••••••••••••••••••

October 3, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Catme 13/Glass Effect 88 — An early morning drive through my hood, as seen through Google Glass (video)

Since I was up I decided to take a spin around my subdivision.

Here's what it looks like at 6:30 in the morning.

October 3, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Lipstick Defender — "Compact, concealable, and ready for any attack"

Screen Shot 2013-10-02 at 7.48.19 PM

Can your lipstick do that?

Screen Shot 2013-10-02 at 7.48.15 PM

Didn't think so.

Screen Shot 2013-10-02 at 7.48.24 PM

From websites:

•••••••••••••••••••••••

Many women scoff at the thought of carrying pepper spray because of its appearance and clumsiness.

Cleverly disguised, Lipstick Defender is compact, inconspicuous, and ready for any attack — and it's one of the hottest pepper sprays on the market!

Simply remove the protective cap — powerful stream pattern decreases wind blow-back and 22-gram capacity ensures approximately 10 bursts, effective up to 10 feet away.

Attractive pink fits any purse or comfortably in a small hand when you're walking alone.

•••••••••••••••••••••••