« October 13, 2013 | Main | October 15, 2013 »

October 14, 2013

Juke box aboard the USS Nautilus (SSN-571)

Bb

1956 LIFE magazine photograph by Hank Walker.

[via Electronic Squid and Living in a Retro World]

October 14, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Breast Milk Lollipops — "Quite possibly the most inherently satisfying flavor of all time"

Screen Shot 2013-10-14 at 2.35.59 PM

I won't argue.

Screen Shot 2013-10-14 at 2.35.45 PM

My nominee for weirdest product of the year.

••••••••••••••••••••••

Screen Shot 2013-10-14 at 2.35.53 PM

So what's happening is that suddenly it seems as though a lot of our friends are having babies.

And since some of us are confectioners, we felt it was our responsibility to find out just what this flavor was that could turn a screaming, furious infant into a placid, contented one.

Surely the flavor must be heavenly, yes?

We are endlessly grateful to all the mothers who kept sharing their breast milk with our flavor specialists until we were able to candify it.

These lollipops won't bring back childhood memory — they'll bring up animal instinct.

Quite possibly the most inherently satisfying flavor of all time.

Note: There is no actual breast milk in these. They're vegan! (OMG the armies of pumping women.)

••••••••••••••••••••••

Four for $10.

What's going on at Archie McPhee?

Asleep at the switch in Seattle, looks like to me.

Yo Mark and David — wake up and smell the Sriracha

October 14, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

User Phoenix B 1of3 says (in effect) "Sayonara Wikipedia I am SO outa here!"

Phoenix B 1of3 says good-bye

True confession: I love good-byes from people who are great at stuff and decide to call it a day at the very top of their game or art.

Jim Brown and Barry Sanders come to mind.

Anyway, last week I featured this wonderful Antarctica Time Zone Map

6a00d8341c5dea53ef019afff11616970b-800wi

created by one Phoenix B 1of3.

Investigation as to the identity of this person led me to the page pictured up top.

Tony Kornheiser, half of my favorite show on TV, "Pardon The Interruption," occasionally remarks that when he finally calls it a day, he's gonna go down with all guns firing in a vicious, hate-filled, violent, angry good-bye.

Can't hardly wait!

In the meantime I will have to be content with occasional frissons of delight like the one featured here.

My bookofjoe good-bye?

It will be sudden and unannounced in advanced: you won't know it has happened till one day no more posts appear.

Every one could be the last.

Even the one you're reading.

Trust me on this.

October 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Magnifying Makeup Glasses — "Easily apply eye makeup even without perfect vision"

8715.zoom.a

Finally.

61uzDWC4RVL._SL1500_

Think outside the eye makeup space.

71qAxxqyqrL._SL1500_

Way outside.

611P4LUM0rL._SL1280_

But I digress.

From websites:

•••••••••••••••••••••

Thanks to these makeup glasses, accurately applying eye makeup is no longer a challenge.

Magnifying makeup glasses provide enhanced vision in one eye as you put eyeliner, mascara, and more on the other.

Single crystal-clear acrylic swing-down lens make precise application a cinch.

2.5x magnification.

•••••••••••••••••••••

October 14, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Catme 13/Glass Effect 98: Meet Cary Sternick, my BFF, on our recent trip to Milwaukee, our hometown — through Google Glass

Here's someone I've known since 1965 when we were teenagers in Milwaukee.

We talk every day on the phone, usually for around an hour, through several calls.

Been that way for years and I hope it goes on for many more.

He only slams the phone down in anger about once a month now: that's way down from years past when it was pretty much weekly, sometimes daily.

heh

Though, come to think of it, I was in the doghouse from July through November of last year, with absolutely no phone contact until he got over whatever perceived insult drove him insane.

October 14, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Perfect Poach™ Bags

8529.zoom.a

From a website:

••••••••••••••••••••••

Perfectly poached eggs delivered straight to your plate!

These single-use non-stick biodegradable egg poaching bags take all the mess and frustration out of making this brunch favorite.

Simply place a poaching bag inside a small glass and crack an egg into it.

Then immerse it* into a saucepan of gently boiling water — the bag holds the egg in just the right shape while cooking.

Poach for 4-6 minutes, then drain and enjoy!

No oil or butter is required.

Ideal for poaching multiple eggs at a time.

*Immerse just the bag — not the glass.

••••••••••••••••••••••

20 BPA-free recyclable bags for $5.22 ("Eggs included; we'll choose for you.")

heh