« October 22, 2013 | Main | October 24, 2013 »

October 23, 2013

A political map of the world, circa 200 A.D.

B

From the Washington Post: "What's more amazing: how much things have changed over the last 1,800 years (a major chunk of the civilizational history of humanity) or how many of this map's divisions are still with us today?"

October 23, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Dental Eraser

Dental-eraser-w-whitening-cleaner

What I need is an industrial strength version that can obliterate my crummy teeth and let me start fresh.

Until 3-D printers get better, I guess I'm stuck with this stopgap.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

This set of two Dental Erasers features both soft and hard implements to help fight stains and marks on your teeth so you never worry about your smile again.

With a mint aroma, the erasers are comfortable to use and the slender design means they can slip into pockets or briefcases easily.

The cleaning agent contains xylitol and whitener.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Set of two: $13.

October 23, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Blast from the past (July 30, 2010): The Wrong Stuff: Mountaineer Ed Viesturs on Making Mistakes

Kathryn Schulz's new book, "Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error," was published last month [June 2010].

Excerpts from Viesturs' interview with Schulz which appeared in Slate on June 14, 2010 follow.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

You've written that the worst mistake of your climbing career occurred on K2which is a bad place for a mistake, given its reputation as the deadliest mountain in the world. Can you describe what happened?

I was with two other climbers trying to make the summit, and we'd had to sit at our high camp for three nights waiting for the weather to clear. Finally we had what we thought was a window of opportunity, so we started climbing. About halfway into the day, the clouds below us slowly engulfed us, and it started to snow pretty heavily. I always contemplate going down even as I'm going up, and I was thinking, "You know what? Six, seven, eight, nine hours from now, when we're going down, there's going to be a tremendous amount of new snow, and the avalanche conditions could be huge."

I talked to my partners, and either I was overreacting or they were underreacting, because they were like, "What do you mean? This is fine." So I was kind of alone in my quandary. I knew I was making a mistake; I knew I should just simply go down, that I should unrope and leave my partners and let them go, but I kept putting off that decision, until eventually we got to the top. When we got down to camp that night, I was not pleased with what I had done. I'd have to say that was the biggest mistake I've ever made in my climbing career.

Really? Given the many fatal mistakes made on mountains every year, this doesn't sound so bad. You made it down safely, after all.

Yeah, but a mistake is a mistake even if you get away with it. Even though we succeeded, I don't ever want to do that again. I felt on the way down that the conditions were pretty desperate. We could've gone down in an avalanche at any minute. We just got really, really lucky. There were moments I was convinced we weren't going to make it down, when I said [to myself], "Ed, you've made the last and most stupid mistake of your life."

I think a lot of people, when they survive a situation like that, they're willing to do it again. They're like, "Well, you know I got away with it one time, I can probably get away with it again." You do that too many times and sooner or later, it's not going to work out.

Did you make more mistakes early on in your climbing career? There's that old saw about how experience is just another name for having made a lot of mistakes.

I don't really look back and say, "Oh my God, that thing I did was really idiotic, how could I have done that?" I think I always wanted to be careful. I didn't want to die in the mountains. I do think, though, that as I climbed more, I became more conservative, just because of all the things I'd learned.  When you're less experienced, you don't even know about the mistakes you're making.

Speaking of conservative decisions, I heard you once turned around when you were 300 feet from the summit of Mount Everest. Three hundred feet out of, what, 29,029?

Yeah. That was my first trip to Everest, and I was likedaaaaaaahhh! You know, there's the top, I could see the top, 300 feet away. But it was the obvious decision; all the indications were that we needed to turn around, and I just realized that I was going to have to go home and come back another year. And even though it was slightly frustrating, I wasn't disappointed. If I have to turn around because of conditions beyond my control, as long as I haven't given up physically or mentally, I don't call those failures. I can live with those.

When the stakes are big, the small stuff matters.

Climbing is the small stuff. The higher you climb, the less and less chance you have of being rescued. And that's when minor mistakes have huge, huge consequences. These high-altitude mountains are one of the few places on the planet where there is literally no help. If you screw up and break a leg, it's up to your partner to get you down. If he can't, you're dead. It's one of the few places in the world where your decisions have real consequences. I think a lot of people don't ever experience that—"Man, every decision I make has a consequence right now." That's a very interesting feeling.

The majority of accidents and deaths in the mountains are what I call self-inflicted. You make bad decisions, you choose to climb in bad weather, you make a dumb mistake like not clipping into a rope or not putting on your crampons, and then in a heartbeat, it falls apart. It's those little things that you have to constantly remind yourself about. It doesn't matter if I've been doing this for 30 years; I still have to be just as careful. But I think as you do something more and more, you have the tendency to become complacent.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I'm reminded of an old saw: "There are old mountain climbers, and there are bold mountain climbers, but there are no old, bold mountain climbers."

•••••••••••••••••••••••

This post originally appeared July 30, 2010; every word applies just as well today as it did then.

October 23, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Barf-Flavored Jelly Beans

But wait — there's more!

How about Stinky Socks, Booger, Rotten Egg, Skunk Spray, Baby Wipes (used), Canned Dog Food, and Moldy Cheese?

Any of those float your upchuck boat?

1.6 oz. box of assorted flavors: $2.25.

Tell you what: give these out on Halloween, gonna be police cars visiting your place.

Fair warning.

October 23, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (3) | TrackBack

Gray Cat observing deer in the early morning mist — through Google Glass

YouTube caption: "A lot going here at boj World HQ: this is only the start of a typically crazy day. w00t!."

October 23, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

What is it? First bookofjoe Contest of 2013®™© is on! (Jessa rules!)

N

Answer here this time tomorrow.

The winner — to be determined by Gray Cat using a complex deep black super-secret algorithm so fiendishly abstruse even the NSA gave up trying to crack it — gets Party G1rl Lollipops, kindly furnished by Jason Darling, owner-founder of Lollyphile, who will immediately dispatch a fresh batch to your door once I give him the word.

heh

Full disclosure: I have a bunch of these lollipops, which Jason sent to me after I featured them here last month: they are very good.

Trust me on this.

If for any reason you are not pleased with your prize, please let me or Jason know and we will walk away from you and your email as fast as humanly possible... no, that's not right — how did that get in here?

From the top: If for any reason you are not pleased with your prize, please let me or Jason know and we will cheerfully refund every penny you paid.

There, that's better.

But I digress.

A hint on the mystery object pictured up top: bigger than a bread box.

Another: contains no metal.

A third: not designed in this century.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot: reader Jessa, whose comment:

HOW DOES IT WORK? That is what I want to know. I'm not interested in the icing, I'm interested in party mode. Ecstasy? Is it ecstasy?

on the Party G1rl Lollipops post inspired me to bring back contests after a couple-year-long hiatus, gets a shipment of these sweet — but not too sweet, just right — treats for providing the spark.

Well done, g1rlfriend!