« November 3, 2013 | Main | November 5, 2013 »

November 4, 2013

Helpful Hints from joeeze: Chinese takeout containers fold out into plates

M

"The containers actually are meant to unfold into a makeshift plate, which you can easily reassemble into a box for storing leftovers."

Who knew?

[via Food Beast and reader Joe Peach]

November 4, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack

Playful Plates by Duncan Shotten

C

"The online shop sells only items designed by Duncan Shotten

Screen Shot 2013-11-03 at 7.51.48 AM

who hand signs a note

Screen Shot 2013-11-03 at 7.51.52 AM

that goes into every package."

Duncan-shotton-the-plate-plate-collection-designboom-06

From £5 (food items not included).

[via designboom and Shoebox Dwelling]

November 4, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

National Geographic "Afghan Girl" — Then (1984) and now

BYJbD7NIgAAiNOV

Steve McCurry's photograph is one of most iconic ever to have appeared on the cover.

Taken in 1984, the portrait of then 12-year-old Sharbat Gula was featured on the cover of the June 1985 issue.

[via History in Pictures]

November 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack

Etch-A-Sketch iPhone Case

For iPhone 5

and

5s.

Screen Shot 2013-11-03 at 4.54.32 PM

$6.24 (iPhone included? What do you think?).

November 4, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Fall color and Gray Cat on a Sunday morning in early November — through Google Glass

A peaceful, quiet beginning to the day.

November 4, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

bookofjoe's Favorite Thing: Tess Perio Toothbrush

Screen Shot 2013-11-03 at 6.00.54 AM

During the past month Dr. Ben Ross of Pantops Prosthodontics has been spending hours trying to preserve two of my sorry lower molars, ravaged by decades of wear and incompetent dentistry (crowns and fillings up the wazoo), one of them with a preexisting root canal.

It appears that, as least for the time being, they have been restored to functional status.

In the course of Dr. Ross's tender ministrations, he has had to perform procedures involving my gums and in fact create flaps to expose tissues, resulting in the necessity of sutures and some very tender and fragile areas of healing around the bases of the involved teeth.

To that end, he gave me one of these toothbrushes after my first visit in the series and told me to use it instead of my regular Radius brush.

From the toothbrush website: "Black bristles mask blood and reduce alarm. 0.005" ultra-soft bristles for sensitive teeth and gums."

At first I was put off by the tiny head but once I felt how soft the bristles were, I understood why he'd recommended this brush.

Even after the surgical sites have healed I'm sticking with this brush for life.

I mean, these bristles are as soft as Gray Cat's fur — and that's saying something.

Screen Shot 2013-11-03 at 6.00.46 AM

Twelve for $21 ($1.75 apiece).

November 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack