« December 5, 2013 | Main | December 7, 2013 »

December 6, 2013

Experts' Expert: Tim Page selects 10 unparalleled works of art

Burton1-1

Robert Burton: "The Anatomy of Melancholy" (1621)

Ludwig van Beethoven: "Grosse Fuge" (1826)

Alessandro Moreschi: "The Last Castrato" (1902-1904)

D.W. Griffith: "Intolerance" (1916)

James Joyce: "Ulysses" (1922)

John Cage: "4'33"" (1952)

Alain Resnais: "Last Year at Marienbad" (1962)

Alvin Lucier: "I Am Sitting in a Room: (1970)

Thomas Pynchon: "Gravity's Rainbow" (1973)

Maya Lin: The Vietnam Veteran's Memorial (1982)

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

From Page's January 2, 2004 Washington Post story: "Most, in their sheer, flinty strangeness, have remained monoliths, as mysterious in their way as Stonehenge. If there is any tie that binds, it is their unrepeatability. It is impossible to imagine a sequel to any of them; they create new forms, live out their lives and then break their own molds."

December 6, 2013 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack

Hermès Coffre à Lutrin Portable Desk

Z

From the New York Times

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Zzz

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

$57,900.

December 6, 2013 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack

bookofjoe of a different color (and nation)

Who knew that Book of Joe is — or was in late 2010 — the name of a store in the Dartmouth section of Halifax, Nova Scotia?

You do too now.

YouTube caption: "The Book of Joe is a weekend bookstore/cafe/art saloon collective operated by Charlene, David, Mike & Mycol located in the Harbourview Market, Downtown Dartmouth."

Contact them: joe@bookofjoe.ca

December 6, 2013 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack

Winter and Summer Salt and Pepper Shakers

N

From the New York Times: "Designed by the Bangkok company Qualy, this plastic shaker set creates two miniature worlds, one with a landscape of snowy salt, the other with a desert of peppery sand. Of course, you're welcome to use paprika and call it Mars."

December 6, 2013 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBack

Driving while wearing Google Glass over prescription glasses: My urban adventure

I made the video above on July 10, 2013, 12 days after getting my Google Glass.

The YouTube caption: "Today I decided to try 1) Wearing Google Glass over my prescription glasses for the first time ever while 2) Driving with Glass for the first time ever. Along the way, you'll hear one of my favorite stories. Among other things."

At the time, I was just curious to see if I could actually wear both my prescription glasses and Google Glass simultaneously and use both.

That is, I planned to drive while looking through my regular glasses and have the videocamera in Glass rolling the entire time, recording my driver's eye view.

I did just that, posted it on bookofjoe in the 4:01 a.m. slot as I do with Glass videos, and forgot about it.

Until this past Tuesday night when I received the following email from ABC News:

ABC copy

I instantly replied "Yes!"

Hey, put me on "Good Morning America," I'm totally down wit dat.

As to whether they ever aired any of my Glass footage or will in the future, I have no idea.

But they might!

It's my thinking that the recent kerfuffle over the California woman who was ticketed by the highway patrol for driving while wearing Glass — which became a big deal in the news, with coverage by every U.S. newspaper and many in England, along with spots on TV news shows — encouraged ABC to drill down on Google and YouTube for related video and they happened on mine.

December 6, 2013 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (6) | TrackBack

What is it?

Zz

Answer here this time tomorrow.

Hint: smaller than a bread box.

Another: not from Japan.