« May 7, 2014 | Main | May 9, 2014 »

May 8, 2014

Would you eat a peanut butter and jelly potato chip?

1389890842000-lays

From USA Today: "Lay's is asking us to create a delicious chip flavor. The deadline to enter is April 5. Four finalists wil be unveiled this summer; three of them will win $50,000, with the big one getting a million or 1% of the flavor's net sales, whichever's higher."

May 8, 2014 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (5)

Bulletproof Glass Bicycle

Invisiblebike03

Finally.

Invisiblebike04

"It is completely transparent,

Invisiblebike02

except for the

Invisiblebike07

chain and tires."

Invisiblebike06

Designed by Jimmy Kuehnle.

Invisiblebike05

[via TOXEL]

May 8, 2014 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1)

Blast from the past: Jimi Hendrix on stage at a concert in Bakersfield, California in 1968

Bd5UJIdIgAAGgAJ

[via HistoryInPics]

May 8, 2014 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1)

Expert's Expert: Index card holder for internet passwords

Bizcard

Sometimes old ways are the best ways.

Below, C.M. Mayo's convincing Cool Tools review.

It's well worth considering as a step toward simplifying what can sometimes be awfully vexing when you just can't seem to remember or guess or find a password you've just got to have right now.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The Web was new (I climbed on board in 1995) like everyone else, I started accumulating passwords. Slowly at first, but with two websites to manage and a fondness for on-line shopping, by 1999, I was pinning scraps of paper to my bulletin board, jotting in notebooks, tucking them into my wallet, in various files in the filing cabinet, and, oh heck, just sticking Post-Its to my computer monitor. And more times than I'd like to admit, I forgot to write them down at all. I knew some people who kept their passwords straight by using the same one for everything, but that seemed to me an invitation to hackers.

About ten years ago, I started noting each password on its own 4 x 6 inch index card, then filing it alphabetically by service (e.g., Amazon.com under “A”) in a little box that looks just like my grandmother’s cookie recipe box.

Call it the Grandma's Recipe Box Solution to Password Management.

On each index card I note:

• Name of Service (e.g., Amazon.com)

• My password

• My username

• My email address for this account

• Any other relevant information

Now that I'm still on-line in 2014 and managing a plethora of websites, a batch of blogs, two YouTube channels, Vimeo, three Twitter accounts, and do my banking on-line, use PayPal, and have not set foot in a shopping mall in more time than I can remember, I have accumulated a prodigious stack of index cards. But my little plastic index card holder, with its alphabetical tabs, is still right here by my desk, doing the job.

I have found that there are several advantages to this method:

1. I can keep all my passwords at my fingertips (so when it's time to check my bank balance or tweet or shop on-line, if I cannot recall the one I need password, I just pluck it out);

2. Filing the cards alphabetically allows me to plunk one back in quickly (and find it again just as quickly);

3. I can use longer and more varied passwords without having to remember them nor go through the hoops of waiting for it to be resent to my email, and then having to click on some link to confirm;

4. If I need to change a password, I just pluck out the card, note the change, and put it back;

5. When I had to cancel one of my email accounts, I was able to whip through the stack of index cards to see which accounts needed updating;

6. It's cheap and after 10 years the plastic index card holder still looks like new;

7. It's small enough to stash in a locked drawer;

8. Finally, should anything happen to me, my family knows where to retrieve all my passwords to put my affairs in order. That's a gruesome thought, but a realistic one. Last I checked, no one gets off this planet alive (except astronauts, and only temporarily).

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Advantus 4 x 6 Index Card Holder, 300 card capacity
$7

Oxford Index cards, 4 x 6, White, 100 Cards per Pack
$8

Oxford Index Card Guides, 4 x 6, Cut Tabs, 25-Set
$4

May 8, 2014 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (7)

Cornell Mushroom Blog

Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 4.17.16 PM

It's maintained by Kathie T. Hodge, an associate professor of mycology at Cornell.

If you're a mushroom fan, this is where you want to be.

May 8, 2014 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Reversible Han Solo/Chewbacca Hoodie

Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 12.56.07 PM

"Reversible design inspired by

Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 12.56.53 PM

Han Solo's Hoth parka."

Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 12.56.57 PM

$109.

Screen Shot 2014-05-04 at 12.57.00 PM

[via OhGizmo! and No Puedo Creer]

May 8, 2014 at 12:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0)

« May 7, 2014 | Main | May 9, 2014 »