« May 8, 2014 | Main | May 10, 2014 »

May 9, 2014

Hopper: Finding the best airfare

Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 3.28.26 PM

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

Seth Kugel, in his Frugal Traveler column in the April 29 New York Times Travel section, had plenty good to say about Hopper; he wrote, "... a few months ago, some smart people at a company called Hopper, whose primary business is aggregating blog posts for travelers, started releasing intriguing reports about how to lower your travel costs.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 3.25.37 PM

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The reports (available at hopper.com/research, by signing up for their mailing list, or following their chief data scientist on Twitter,@patricksurry) are coming with a frequency, transparency and detail I haven’t seen in other reports that try to answer similar questions — and I've looked."

May 9, 2014 at 08:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1)

Dr. Who 3D Dalek Antique Gold Tone Cufflinks

Drwho

From A Must Need :

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Any Dr Who fan will absolutely adore these Dalek cufflinks, official Dr Who merchandise.

Each set comes presented in a tin gift box for easy storage and excellent gift presentation.

The antique gold tone cufflinks measure approximately 2 x 3cm.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

£9.35.

May 9, 2014 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (1)

Evolution of Kodak Brownie Cameras

Tumblr_n3zjplyji61r8aa9jo1_1280

[by Craig Cutler/National Geographic via I Live in a Retro World]

May 9, 2014 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Cat Table

Photo_12

From the website:

Photo_22

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Img

The Cat Table designed by Ruan Hao exhibited in the University of Milan at Milan Design Week in 2014丨阮昊新作“猫桌”参展2014年米兰设计周于米兰大学展区亮相

Photo_61

People who live with cat always have those kind of experiences:

1. Putting away the cat from your lap top was like a sentimental ritual of temporary farewell.

2. A proper sized hole could be so irresistible to cats. Their curiosity would be greatly satisfied through repetitively exploring the unknown path behind the hole.

3. The design of CAT Table was a fusion of those experiences, as well a locus where the interaction occurs. It is a table for us — and a paradise for cats.

Photo_51

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

[via reader Mike W. who added "Via NotCot but you've probably already seen it since you are in the know."

Not true!!

Fans, readers, and visitors!!

Far more often than not I am not already aware and "in the know" about stuff that appears online and/or in print.

There is so much stuff in the world, it's not even close.

If something interests you that you think might intrigue me, send it on.

As a rule, the most interesting stuff I feature comes from you: diligent as my Crack Research Team®™© and Gray Cat are, we can't hold a candle to your collective field of view.

Once upon a time back in 2009 I had some 10,000 daily visitors: over the ensuing five years there's been a steady erosion to where now I have about 2,000 readers on average on a given day.

Was it something I said?

I haven't a clue why the trend is what it is.

Maybe it's like the Big Crunch, that theory of the universe that posits a cycle of expansion followed by collapse followed by reexpansion.

If so, I better fasten my seat belt... woo hoo!

But I digress.

Mike W. added: "In the text: is 'temporary farewell' an oxymoron or is it some kind of zen koan?"

Bueller?

clifyt?

Flautist?

Anyone?]

May 9, 2014 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (6)

Hip hop vocabulary compared between artists

Screen Shot 2014-05-05 at 1.01.53 PM

From Flowing Data:

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Matt Daniels compared rappers' vocabularies to find out who knows the most words.

Literary elites love to rep Shakespeare's vocabulary: across his entire corpus, he uses 28,829 words, suggesting he knew over 100,000 words and arguably had the largest vocabulary, ever.

I decided to compare this data point against the most famous artists in hip hop. I used each artist's first 35,000 lyrics [sic]. That way, prolific artists, such as Jay-Z, could be compared to newer artists, such as Drake.

As two points of reference, Daniels also counted the number of unique words in the first 5,000 used words from seven of Shakespeare's works and the number of uniques from the first 35,000 words of Herman Melville's Moby-Dick.

I'm not sure how much stock I would put into these literary comparisons though, because this is purely a keyword count. So "pimps", "pimp", "pimping", and "pimpin" count as four words in a vocabulary and I have a hunch that variants of a single word is more common in rap lyrics than in Shakespeare and Melville. Again, I'm guessing here.

That said, although there could be similar issues within the rapper comparisons, I bet the counts are more comparable.

May 9, 2014 at 04:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0)

VW Camper Van Retro Toiletry Bag

Vw_kulturtasche_blau

£17.50.

May 9, 2014 at 12:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1)

« May 8, 2014 | Main | May 10, 2014 »