« November 25, 2020 | Main | November 27, 2020 »

November 26, 2020

What is it?

From reader Michael come the photos above and below.

He wrote:

"What is it? Found this when I was cleaning out my parents' house a few years ago. I have no idea what it is. Maybe for curling ribbon instead of the edge of a scissors??????"

Answer here this time tomorrow.

Hint: smaller than a bread box.

Another: wood.

November 26, 2020 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (3)

Neck-Lace

6a00d8341c5dea53ef017d3d13cd82970c-800wi

Inspired by a ordinary paper party banner,

6a00d8341c5dea53ef017ee4892613970d-800wi

OOOMS designed a one-piece structure.

6a00d8341c5dea53ef017d3d13cc22970c

Once stretched, it lengthens to become a beautiful necklace resembling lace.

November 26, 2020 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

'On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog'

Eeee

Peter Steiner's cartoon appeared in the July 5, 1993 issue of the New Yorker.

It is the magazine's most reproduced cartoon ever.

November 26, 2020 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Aiiiieeeeee

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 11.22.20 AM

Above, the broken image icon that often appears when I try to add a picture to a post.

But wait — there's more!

Most days now when I take my first look at boj, the 8:01 a.m. post that leads the day's festivities appears featuring this same broken image icon.

You've probably encountered it in recent weeks, when this glitch started happening.

Look, here's one from today's 8:01 a.m. post:

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 8.04.33 AM

Even better: when I first tried to repost it, it gave me a broken link symbol: how recursive and meta is that?

Anyway, since I'm the one in charge here (subject to Gray Cat's whims, of course — duh), before I do anything else I have to go behind the scenes and repost the broken image(s).

The thing is, at the time I initially finished the post, all images were intact, though some required several attempts on my part because of the FAIL icon initially encountered.

This problem has occurred before, most recently a couple years ago.

No point opening a Help Ticket with Typepad because decades-long personal experience doing just that has taught me that:

1) They'll ask me a zillion questions, each more annoying than the last;

2) They'll fail to provide a fix, and, most enraging,

3) They'll say that my code is bad, the same excuse that they've reverted to over many back-and-forths regarding why my Comments section regularly breaks down for weeks or months at a time before spontaneously fixing itself.

They've offered to fix it but I don't trust them; they say they'll make a copy first so I can revert to it if their fix isn't satisfactory but I think that's a bad choice.

Many decades of telling anesthesiology residents that perfect is the enemy of good, for example not letting them fiddle around with a malfunctioning ventilator in the middle of a case but instead telling them to disconnect it and turn it off and instead squeeze the breathing bag for a couple hours like I did in the old days, has taught me the wisdom and truth of this simple aphorism.

I think any attempt by Typepad's coding and software BrainGenius®© engineers to fix my behind-the-scenes code will result in the crash, burn, and end of bookofjoe, irretrievably.

Here's what I, a card-carrying TechnoDolt©®*, think: If an action taken on a computer results in different results when the same action is repeated, there's a fault in the code.

Whatever software posts pictures, it's not unique to me but, rather, universal across Typepad's universe.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

November 26, 2020 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0)

My other car is NOT a Bentley Mulliner Bacalar

Bentley-Mulliner-Bacalar-front-three-quarter-hpc-699x371

I just missed snagging one of these 12 very limited edition vehicles.

Dsc09611

You snooze, you looze.

RP---Bentley-Bacalar-38

But I digress.

Aaaa

From Barron's:

6a00d8341c5dea53ef026be426ae6d200d-800wi

This year, we got the roof-free Mulliner Bacalar, which will sell for approximately $1.9 million in an edition of just 12.

Bentley-Mulliner-Bacalar-17A-1000x576

The coachbuilt vehicle is not specifically a "green" car but it does have interior trim made from 5,000-year-old copper-infused wood found in river bottoms, lakes and peat bogs in East Anglia.

November 26, 2020 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1)

« November 25, 2020 | Main | November 27, 2020 »