« 'Sistine Chapel' of the Amazon | Home | Apple Wi-Fi calling is a bug, not a feature »

December 2, 2020

'The Nutcracker'

"The Russian State Ballet and Opera House presents 'The Nutcracker' ballet performed by National Opera and Ballet Theatre of Mari El."

Free, the way we like it.

The reason I posted this is because I just read in my daily paper that the Charlottesville Ballet will be streaming its performance of 'The Nutcracker,' with replays allowed for seven days after the actual performance.

What made my brain explode is that they're charging $45.50 — plus a processing fee — per household to watch it.

Huh?

Why would anyone in their right mind pay any amount of money, much less around $50, to watch this local company when you've got 'The Nutcracker' on YouTube, featuring a world-class company and orchestra, for free 24/7/365?

But perhaps you don't want any part of that Russian stuff: no worries, I got you covered.

How about the New York City Ballet performance of 'The Nutcracker' (below).

Does that work for you?

Free, the way we like it.

December 2, 2020 at 12:01 PM | Permalink

Comments

Oops - I see I misread the ticket price. Prolly still worth it for lovers of ballet, though.

Posted by: Ms. Radoo | Dec 4, 2020 8:25:26 AM

I have to differ with you on this one, Joe. Local theater/ballet/other entertainment groups are dying on the vine during this pandemic. They're doing anything they can to stay relevant and afloat. $4.50 is a small enough contribution to help them along.

Posted by: Ms. Radoo | Dec 4, 2020 8:15:01 AM

Nah, I take that back, just a cute kid who could probably dance like an angel.

Posted by: tamra | Dec 3, 2020 3:16:35 PM

Was that McCauley Culkin?

Posted by: tamra | Dec 3, 2020 3:10:51 PM

To compare the local talent and if they're good brag to cousin Estelle in California.
Because our neighbors niece is in it and they'll expect us to watch and comment.
A local production is more likely to screw up and those who witness it will be envied.
Sometimes the top shelf pros lack the human warmth that makes watching warm and fuzzy.
To support the local arts.

Posted by: xoxoxoBruce | Dec 2, 2020 8:06:15 PM