« September 10, 2021 | Main | September 12, 2021 »

September 11, 2021

Baskets — Sally Blake

Blake-6-960x960@2x

From Colossal:

Whether standing a few inches tall or reaching more than a foot, the metallic vessels that Sally Blake weaves are all inspired by a single, skeletonized seedpod the Canberra-based artist found herself in possession of.

Blake-2-960x960@2x

"It was given to me by someone who understood my grief after my mother died, and it represented much of what I was feeling and experiencing," she said. "It was vulnerable and yet resilient, and gently held its seed — the source of potential new life and inspiration."

Blake-3-960x960@2x

That original pod has since spurred dozens of baskets in varying sizes that Blake molds from lengths of copper wire.

Blake-1-960x960@2x

She manipulates the pliable material with tight coils and twists that rely on pattern and sinuous lines, creating organic forms evocative of seeds, sea creatures, lungs, and other natural shapes.

Blake-5-960x960@2x

Blake's works are on view through today at Craft ACT in Canberra, Australia, in her solo show titled Place Markers.

Blake-8-960x960@2x

You can find her baskets in her shop, and keep up with her multi-media practice on Instagram.

September 11, 2021 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Black Panther only reveals spots in infrared light

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 10.42.58 AM

Screen Shot 2021-09-05 at 10.42.58 AM copy

September 11, 2021 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Sometimes I miss the good old days

Believe it or not, once upon a time I had 10,000 daily readers.

That was about 10 years ago, when peak blog was happening.

Since then readership has steadily dwindled, with a huge downward inflection point occurring in 2014-2015 when I suffered a mega episode of major clinical depression (#4 of 4 in my hopefully no longer ongoing series), which resulted in my only being able to post a sentence or two every couple of days for nearly two years, from late 2013 until October 2015.

By the time I recovered, 95% of my readership had vanished.

But I digress.

One thing that was great about the good old days was that with that many readers, great suggestions and links poured in daily, such that I could produce a wonderfully eclectic and unexpected series of posts (eight [8] daily back then) with comparatively little effort or research on the part of me and my Crack Research Team©®, which even then never failed to annoy and disappoint with its sloth and lassitude considering their outlandish salary and benefits package.

Oh well.

One more thing: on the morning of Monday, September 11, 2001, as the planes crashed into the Twin Towers, I was lying on my couch, alone, in a silent house, immobile, as I'd been for weeks during the early days of major clinical depression #3 (#1 happened in the summer of 1977 when I was 29 and #2 in the fall of 1991, both of these first two resulting in psychiatric hospitalizations).

My phone rang: it was an ex-girlfriend who said "Turn on your TV."

I replied, "Why?"

She said "Please, just turn on your TV."

I really had zero interest in anything at that point, as is the case in depression, but just to end the phone call, which was tiring me out, I did what she said to do, then hung up.

For the rest of the day, I stared at the screen, without feeling much of anything: depression will do that, make you numb.

But a funny thing happened: over the subsequent days, paying even a little attention to the horrible things I was watching took me away from my own internal hell just enough to cause my mind to stop its incessant circular ruminations and start to focus on the outside world.

And as a result, my depression lifted, little by little, over the next month or so.

September 11, 2021 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (7)

The Chemistry of Eggplants

Zz

September 11, 2021 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0)

KEEP YOUR SPIRITS LEVEL

Vintage-pieces+22

This is a vintage spirit level made of brass and wood, etched for those who can be a little off center at times.

Please note that as a vintage piece, it has marks commensurate with age and use.

7.87" long.

£80.

September 11, 2021 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (0)

« September 10, 2021 | Main | September 12, 2021 »