« October 22, 2021 | Main | October 24, 2021 »

October 23, 2021

Day of the Dead Stamps

Zzzz

From Colossal:

The United States Postal Service has issued a set of colorful postage stamps that celebrate Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), an annual holiday celebrated in Mexico and beyond on the first two days of November.

The vibrant stamps depict a family of four calaveras (sugar skulls) designed by Minneapolis-based Chicano artist and designer Luis Fitch, who has been obsessed with postage stamps since a young age.

chance encounter near a train exit by the National Mexican Art Museum in Chicago led to the creation of the stamps:

Every year, the day before his birthday, [Fitch] writes a list of things he wants to achieve, asking the universe. In October 2018, he remembered his old dream, designing a stamp, and made it number one, the slot for his most difficult and unrealistic goal.

The next day, the director of the stamp design program called.

He had seen the single poster Fitch wheat-pasted — on a whim, while waiting for his son — near the train exit for the National Mexican Art Museum in Chicago. And then he had gone to the museum, where twelve of Fitch’s posters were included in an exhibition on the Day of the Dead. This was just the style he was looking for, he said.

Fitch's stamp designs incorporate multiple visual motifs traditionally used during the holiday, including lit candles meant to guide deceased loved ones on their annual return journey, and cempazuchitles (marigolds), the most popular Día de los Muertos flower.

Each of the four stamps depicts a different family member in the form of a sugar skull: a father with a hat and mustache, a child donning a hair bow, a curly-haired mother, and another child.

58 cents at post offices everywhere.

October 23, 2021 at 04:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

My Crack Correspondents©®

Zzz

[Above, my March 4, 2013 4:01 p.m. post.]

Many of my best posts result from contributions by my world-wide network of Crack Correspondents©®, the elite of the elite.

They can be found in White River [Mpumalanga, South Africa], Stockholm, Kraków, Chicago, New York City, the Bay Area, L.A., Tokyo, São Paulo, Cardiff, Vancouver, Vladivostok, and many other cities around the planet.

How do you get to be one?

Easy: just send me something that interests you.

Whether or not I use it, you're in.

Lowest bar ever.

This is a club anyone can join as long as you're capable of fogging a mirror.

nuf sed

October 23, 2021 at 02:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

MARVEL Character or Font: Can you tell the difference?

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 9.22.06 AM

Fair warning: if you're not serious comic book aficionado, you're not gonna get a perfect score.

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 9.25.57 AM

Go for it.

October 23, 2021 at 12:01 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

I happened on a wonderful optical illusion

Zzz

Above, a screen shot from the website featured in the SELL!SELL!SELL! post of October 18.

While I was pulling that post together, I noticed the rows of shoes seemed to slant upward to the left.

Huh.

I cropped the picture:

Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at 10.32.37 AM copy

now it's as if the shoes are trying but failing to make me think they're still not on an even keel.

Flautist?

Bueller?

Anyone?

Wait a sec — what that music I'm hearing?

October 23, 2021 at 10:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (2)

Spot It!

810d8ka9gjL._AC_SL1500_

Clive Thompson raved about this game and that's good enough for me.

If that doesn't suffice for you, here's what Jacob Weisberger had to say about it in BoingBoing:

Finding games that my 6-year-old daughter and I both find entertaining can be kinda hard.

Spot it! is a matching card game that we can both play for hours! It is addictive!

The game is simple: match objects printed on small round cards.

There is always one and only one match between any two cards in the deck.

Whoever spots a match between their card and the community card wins the round and takes the community card.

You simply play through the deck and see who has more cards at the end.

Easy to learn, and for me completely dependent on state of mind as to which one of us will be the victor.

Features and Details:

Perfect for 2-5 players

Five different game modes

Average game time 10 minutes

Recommended for players 4 and older

71naZUlfEkL._AC_SL1500_

October 23, 2021 at 08:01 AM | Permalink | Comments (1)

« October 22, 2021 | Main | October 24, 2021 »